iCloud alias

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ATC, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'm having an issue with how iOS 6 is handling "replying" of emails when I receive emails on my alias email.

Instead of replying from the Alias, by default it's replying from my main iCloud account email, even when replying to emails sent to my alias email.

Interestingly, on the mac side using Mail in OSX it replies fine from my alias, it's just not doing the same from my iPhone. When replying from my iPhone I have to manually go into the "From" field and change it to my alias email, for every single reply.

This is a bug, correct? Or is there a setting I'm missing somewhere. :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

2. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just spoke to someone in Apple Care who after putting me on hold to research the issue, came back and told me that's just the way the iOS Mail app is, the limitation is due to the lower complexity of the core Mail app in iOS compared to the Mail app in OSX.

Submitted feedback at apple.com/feedback in hopes they can fix this in the future.

3. touchu4g macrumors member

Try going to Settings, tap on Mail, Contacts and Calendar, scroll down and click default account and change the account to the Alias one.

4. ATC thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iCloud main email and its alias is one account, so you cannot pick one or the other in Mail settings under Default Account. For example, under my Default Account it has three choices; iCloud, Gmail or Outlook.

But I did find a setting when I go to and sign into iCloud.com, under Mail preferences, I can set the default sending email as my Alias but the problem with that is then ALL my sent emails will go from my alias.

What I want, and the way the Mail app in OSX does, is by default if I reply to email sent to my main iCloud email it will reply from that email, and conversely if I reply to an email sent to my iCloud alias it will reply from my alias.

I just wish the Mail app in iOS handled things the same way as in OSX. I think for experience consistency (continuity) it would be great if Apple fixed this.