iCloud and email?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Chris230291, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Chris230291, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

Chris230291 macrumors member

Hello. Is there a way i can have my emails appear on all of my devices (mac and iDevices) rather than just the one to search for new mail first? Then when i remove a message, it removes it from all devices?

So basically how do i keep my mail clients in sync?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

From what you've written, I'm assuming that you're using an iCloud email address, as in, one that goes something like: blahblah "@ me . com".

If that's the case, then if you add that email address to all of your macs and iOS devices (in the Mail app - or equivalent, for example Sparrow) then your email should all stay synchronised. If you archive or delete an email on your mac or your iOS device, then the same should happen automatically (in the cloud) and appear the same on all of your other devices.

Say if I've lost you somewhere or if that's not working.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, i should have pointed out that my mail account is not linked to apple in any way. If using a .me or whatever is the only way i will switch, but im sure you understand why id rather stay with the adress i have?

Thanks

5. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Ah okay, well then the advice given by miles is pretty accurate then. Is it an IMAP account that you're using? And how did you add the account to Mail on your mac or iOS device? For example, did you have to manually add incoming and outgoing servers etc?

6. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

Arh Ok, Im with virgin media. I had to input the POP3 adress and the SMTP.

Heres the setup instructions...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...YPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=

I wouldn't mind ditching that account and using the .me i had set up, that i was offered when i first set up iCloud. But i have no idea how to change everything apple and iCloud wise to that adress. If that makes sense?

Thanks for your help.

7. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Ah ok, well if it's a POP3 account then that's why it won't be syncing across devices. POP3 and IMAP work differently and you can only really achieve syncing across multiple devices by using an IMAP account.

If you want the account to remain synchronised across all devices then swapping to use your me.com address would probably be a good idea. Or you could use a GMail account. It's also free and I've used GMail for years and found it to be excellent.

If you're worried that your iTunes account is tied to your Virgin email then don't worry. You can keep your Apple ID (same sort of thing as iTunes account) with your Virgin address and then just setup your Mail app on your mac and iOS devices with your new email address.

If you have any more questions or if I haven't explained it well, then don't hesitate to ask for some help!

8. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

If your looking for a way to "automatic" remove of the notifications + badges when you check in x devica and then using xx device allready synch then no ; you get notify on all but the alerts stay until you open the mail app and it synchs.

Sorry for the english

9. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys. Could someone explain how i switch out my iTunes account email? if possible? Id like that to match... because im weird like that haha.

Thanks.

EDIT: One other question. what will happen with iMessages when i change my email on my iDevice? I mean no one will have my email so will it still work? My mate just got the 4s and it iMessages worked without me adding his email or anything. So i guess that doesn't matter?