iPhone X iCloud and iMessage issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atlchamp, Sep 24, 2018.

1. atlchamp macrumors 68000

atlchamp

Hey guys so I thought I would share my story to see if others out there are seeing the same thing. I got a new XS max on Saturday, set it up as new, and plugged my phone in and of course on WIFI and let me messages download. Only to find out that some threads never loaded and the ones that did were missing a ton of messages since June. Since I had actually ordered another new phone I had another one so I decided to use the one that came in to try again and that phone is doing the same exact thing. the iMessage for iCloud toggle on the original phone has been on since apple released that feature and everything syncs fine to my Mac but for some reason syncs across iPhone devices are not working.

I've already talked to a apple senior support about this and we tried a ton of troubleshooting and a ticket has been passed along to an engineer about this.

Anyone have this issue? A fix?

2. starbucks1222 macrumors member

starbucks1222

I had a ton of messages disappear when backing up the new phone from my 8+ backup. No clue why. It’s not the end of the world but I still would love to know why it didn’t go over like it does every other year.

3. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 68000

atlchamp

im talking bout iMessage in iCloud only. Not an iCloud backup

4. Dizle macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem... Even backed up old phone and then restored new XS to my macbook.

5. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 68000

atlchamp

And that didn’t work? I’m missing end tire threads and for threads that did sync I’m missing 3 months worth of content within them

6. Dizle macrumors 6502

Yup, my messages that were restored are SO random!

7. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 68000

atlchamp

I’m surprised more people aren’t seeing this issue

8. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

I had issues with my Xs Max not forwarding text messages to my work phone and iMac. I had to log out of iCloud and iMessage, reboot the phone and log back in etc before it would work. I am still having issues with handoff type stuff too. I cannot import photos into Mac OS 12 on it. I think I am going to reset the network settings too to see if that helps.

9. tuzzanti macrumors member

tuzzanti

I'm also seeing the problem. Contacted Apple and they have confirmed its a BUG and working on a fix. They could not say if it was Server related or iOS related.

Tim

--- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Exact same issues I'm seeing. Again, Apple has responded and said its a BUG and working on fix.

10. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I am having this issue as well. My first backup/restore didn't get all my photos moved over, so I did another one, and this time the photos were perfect, but I'm missing a ton of iMessages. I may try one more time to see if both of them go over correctly, but it's a PITA. Photos and iMessages are the two most important/least replaceable thing on my phone, so it's annoying to not have this work correctly.

11. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

I can confirm that logging out of everything and starting over worked for me, but it was a pain and took a while. I had to add back in all my cc's etc.

12. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

I am having the same issue, but this did NOT work for me. Steps: turning off iMessage under iCloud (disable and download [AND WHERE DO THEY DOWNLOAD TO?!]), doing backups on iPhone and iPad, turned off both devices, turned on both devices, turned iMessage in iCloud back on. Nothing. Still the same. NOTHING is syncing properly.

When I got my new iPhone last Friday, I thought, okay...time to use iCloud for iMessage. It worked on Friday and that day alone. Later that evening, iMessages were lost on iPhone for about 4 weeks worth but they remained on my iPad. Been that way since...everything is still on my iPad. This ‘disable and download’ thing does not work...or at least, does not appear to, bc while my backups in iCloud suddenly become HUGE, nothing ever downloads to either device to sync them up identically with iMessages.

I am at my wit’s end with this tool. I use both my iPad and iPhone for communication, but there is something wrong with this iCloud iMessage thing for me and I feel I have tried everything to get them to sync again. :(

13. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

I am not clear, but did you log out of iCloud entirely or just the iMessage portion? It seemed like the fix for me was to log my phone completely out of iCloud not just the iMessage portion. When I did that, I got the pop up on my iMac/ipad that asked if I wanted to add that particular number to iMessage etc.

14. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

Ahh I see. Only iMessage. Can you tell me what to do to completely log out of iCloud? Does anything get lost? Silly, but I don't know. Never logged out of it for the sake of trying to fix issues before...

Looking at the settings, dozens of things are logged into iCloud. Is there something that turns it off/on all at once?

15. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

if you have credit cards in the wallet app you will need to re-authorize them and basically pick all your iCloud options. Sort of a pain but it made mine work.

go to settings, tap your name at the top, swipe all the way down and you will see a sign out. select that and when you do it asks if you want to keep stuff on the phone. I did that to be safe, but it will still be on iCloud either way. If you pick keep, it will ask if you want to merge when you log back in.

after you log out, (I logged out of iMessage and FaceTime to be sure also before) immediately log back in and turn all the appropriate iCloud settings back on.

let us know if that fixes it for you.

16. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

Yes, I can see how it is a pain when things are always offered as seamless and easy by Apple. I’m wary of this as well, regarding the documents I have and the verbiage on this screen...

AF0AB468-AAEA-4436-8BE9-FA6BD139B413.jpeg

17. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

to be clear, I left my iPads and iMac alone. I only signed out one the phone that was not forwarding. I have two phone (work and personal) the personal one was the only thing not forwarding text messages. If you only log out of just a single phone nothing should be deleted except for the phone that is signed out. That how it worked for me and of course YMMV.

18. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

Did everything. Reset and turned everything on again as well. Nothing has changed and I do not see iMessages loading or downloading in the Messages app as it did the day I setup the new iPhone last Friday. Also, under FaceTime, this error is now happening, a persistent spinning of my phone number... :(

AE0C0BB8-C603-4A19-B599-5B0673E053EB.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    I’ve just turned off then on FaceTime again, and now it shows nothing available and the phrase “Waiting for activation.” :|
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    — — — — — — —

Okay...FINALLY, that updated itself. Still, iMessages are the same.

Maybe something will update or change in the future, but I don’t understand how it’s supposed to work today. Thanks for the info for me to try...

19. Mr$tone macrumors 6502

I was afraid of this when I received my new iPhone XS Max but was lucky and it all worked (had other terrible problems setting up from an iTunes backup though).

However, I’m disapointed that messages from same people with different numbers/e-mail aren’t grouped as in Mojave (strange since there’s a note saying it would when opening iMessage app first time).

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My fix was not to trust the Cloud for all of my backups.

I use the Cloud nightly but once a week we still do an encrypted iTunes Backup.

I learned my lesson a couple years ago.

21. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

I have an update on this: a new feature appeared I had not seen before and this seems to now sync not only iMessage but text messages (you know, those green bubble things from non-iOS devices) over to my iPad now. I wonder if that is something that plays into the syncing on all devices move. I still do not have a full download of what is on my iPad on my iPhone (which is what sparked this, starting last Friday and then disappearing from my iPhone shortly after) but this is a cool option at least...

108C4116-6563-4E82-83CC-8EC43FB3B24F.jpeg 5E932F9C-4A31-413E-819D-324CAEE738A9.jpeg

22. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

I am glad your forwarding started. That was driving me crazy as I rely on it for work. I don't always want to carry two phones and sometimes get texts on the weekend that I need to see. I am still experiencing on and off issues with the iCloud sync still too. It usually catches up eventually.

23. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 68000

atlchamp

My tech emailed me back today and said the engineers are aware of the issue and working on it. Great news that they acknowledge that there is indeed an issue

24. tuzzanti macrumors member

tuzzanti

I can't get responses from the engineer I'm working with.... but it seems like Apple might have its hands full with the iPhone 8 issues and board replacements / recall. Possible issues without being able to charge iPhone XS. iCloud issues which we are seeing. I've had my phone for a week and still my Photos hasn't finished getting through my People. We pay the premium for Apple because they're supposed to have less issues?

25. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

iMessages in iCloud have had issues since the beginning. I use iMessage in iCloud on my MacBook (High Sierra 10.13.6) and all kinds of iMessages appear out of order in the conversation - most of the conversations make no sense if you go back and re-read them on the MacBook! Also, my iMessages do not sync perfectly across all of my devices (MacBook, iPhone, iPad) and never have. Some devices are missing some iMessages while others are not.