iCloud and iOS 5 final release question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the1payday, Jul 22, 2011.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Quick question, not sure if it's been addressed yet. Are current iCloud backups safe for when the release candidate ios 5 comes out? What I mean is, I think I remembering reading somewhere that anything synced with iCloud would be wiped by Apple when the final iOS 5 is released. Is it safe to start backing up contacts and such with iCloud in its current state?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would they erase it?

3. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Not sure why they would. I just thought I remember reading that somewhere. Something about iCloud data for the betas not being compatible or not being syncable with the final iOS 5 release.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I remember reading something (release notes which I can't find now) that said basically not to trust the backup data while iCloud is in beta as it can be deleted at any time.

I didn't really take notice because I wouldn't use data from a beta with the final release anyway. I've done that with iOS and OSX in the past and it always results in bad performance or some bugs.

Also, a few weeks ago I tried restoring from an iCloud backup and it didn't restore everything. You have to remember that while both iCloud and iOS are in beta, iOS is 4+ years old and the betas are still very buggy in some cases. iCloud is brand new for a company that hasn't got a great repuation yet for such things. I'm sure there are some people who would have problems trusting iCloud even when it's out of beta.

5. tygrubb macrumors regular

In the release notes it specifically mentions that data on iCloud may be purged at any time.

There's no telling whether they will purge it before the final release or not. Methinks it would simply be prudent to assume that they will, and plan accordingly.