iCloud and iPhoto library sync capabilities (re-post from iCloud forum)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ozoneraider, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ozoneraider macrumors newbie

I thought that perhaps this would be a more appropriate forum for my question:

I'm frustrated with the current inability to sync iPhoto libraries between OS X devices like an imac and a macbook. Apple's description of Photo Stream indicates that it will send up to 1,000 of your latest photos for up to a month to all of your iCloud attached devices. So far, so good.

Given the ability to upgrade beyond the included 5GB, will iCloud be able to keep an entire photo library (of reasonable size) in sync? For example, if I edit a photo on my iMac (e.g. crop, redeye, face tag) will the changes show up in the iPhoto library of my MacBook? I understand that this may be unknowable at the moment but thought I would throw this question out.

Update: Today's news did not go into enough detail to answer these questions. Any suggestions for a way to sync photos and metadata among multilple mac and ios devices?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

A somewhat impractical plan is to purchase a sufficiently large Dropbox plan and leave your iPhoto library in that directory. Then your Macs will be synced. I'm not too sure about iOS devices though.

3. ozoneraider thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe that solutions like dropbox play well with iPhoto. If one session of the program is not fully quit before another is started then any changes made in the first session will be lost in the next sync.