iCloud and Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by irDigital0l, Dec 27, 2011.

1. irDigital0l Guest

Is there any complications about using iCloud and jailbreaking? Lets say I backup my iPhone 4 using iCloud and I jailbreak, do I just enter my iCloud account and everything is back but now I also have the jailbreak? Also if I back up my data, does the jailbreak data also get backed up? And if it does and since iCloud goes into Apple's servers, can they see my jailbroken backed up data through iCloud?

thanks

2. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

iCloud has nothing to do with your jailbreak, and will not back up anything to do with your jailbreak. It will simply back up all the normal stuff, settings, contacts, emails etc. Apple does not know via iCloud if you have jailbroken your phone.

3. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

4. hardsc02 macrumors member

Do you think jailbreaking is worth it for me if I'm only interested in a handful of features? Such as facetime over 3g, tethering, and a few notification and gesture features?

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Really it's a decision that only you can make, but I'd say that generally speaking, if you're willing to take on the extra potential time consumption and hassle of keeping up with jailbreak news and not always having the latest firmware updates from Apple, then sure, go for it.

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Like the previous poster said, it is up to you! If you can live without them then jailbreaking is not worth it for you.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

This may not be entirely true. If iCloud backs up in the same method iTunes does, backups based on a jailbroken iPhone can cause complications when out onto a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Example: if apps were hidden in the jailbreak, they will also be hidden on the stock iPhone if restored from that jailbreak backup...but with no way to get the apps to return. Similarly, custom signal bars will remain via backup.

At least, those are experiences I've had on older versions of iOS...but no, apple won't be able to tell you are jailbroken. For privacys reasons, they don't look at anyone's iCloud backups at all