Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Is there any complications about using iCloud and jailbreaking? Lets say I backup my iPhone 4 using iCloud and I jailbreak, do I just enter my iCloud account and everything is back but now I also have the jailbreak? Also if I back up my data, does the jailbreak data also get backed up? And if it does and since iCloud goes into Apple's servers, can they see my jailbroken backed up data through iCloud?

thanks

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
iCloud has nothing to do with your jailbreak, and will not back up anything to do with your jailbreak. It will simply back up all the normal stuff, settings, contacts, emails etc. Apple does not know via iCloud if you have jailbroken your phone.

hardsc02

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Do you think jailbreaking is worth it for me if I'm only interested in a handful of features? Such as facetime over 3g, tethering, and a few notification and gesture features?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Do you think jailbreaking is worth it for me if I'm only interested in a handful of features? Such as facetime over 3g, tethering, and a few notification and gesture features?

Really it's a decision that only you can make, but I'd say that generally speaking, if you're willing to take on the extra potential time consumption and hassle of keeping up with jailbreak news and not always having the latest firmware updates from Apple, then sure, go for it.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

Like the previous poster said, it is up to you! If you can live without them then jailbreaking is not worth it for you.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
iCloud has nothing to do with your jailbreak, and will not back up anything to do with your jailbreak. It will simply back up all the normal stuff, settings, contacts, emails etc. Apple does not know via iCloud if you have jailbroken your phone.

This may not be entirely true. If iCloud backs up in the same method iTunes does, backups based on a jailbroken iPhone can cause complications when out onto a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Example: if apps were hidden in the jailbreak, they will also be hidden on the stock iPhone if restored from that jailbreak backup...but with no way to get the apps to return. Similarly, custom signal bars will remain via backup.

At least, those are experiences I've had on older versions of iOS...but no, apple won't be able to tell you are jailbroken. For privacys reasons, they don't look at anyone's iCloud backups at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.