iCloud and Me accounts?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by stanw, Oct 16, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I'm new to iOS

Under my Mail settings on my iPhone I have an @iCloud.com email account and a @me.com email.com

I have no idea what these are for. Are these just standard accounts you get when you use iOS? Are they actual email accounts that I can send and receive email from?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are email accounts associated with your Apple ID/iCloud (accounts with you can use for email if you wish).

3. vlinkz macrumors regular

me.com was used when iCloud [was called/before it replaced] MobileMe. I'm still using that address and I guess you can make a new one today if you want.

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I'm using a gmail account as my main Apple ID account. That is the part I'm confused by....

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, you use an email address (like Gmail) as your username, but iCloud also has an email service that you can use too if you want.

6. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

I'm in the same situation, I use a gmail address as my iCloud account but you can attach an icloud email to this address to use iCloud email with the same account. Quite confusing I grant you

7. vlinkz macrumors regular

Your iCloud email doesn't need to be the same as your Apple ID. My Apple ID is a private email address. Because of this, I have three emails attached to my account.

8. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. So the iCloud email is a fully functioning email account like a Gmail one?
    2. If so, are there any advantages to using it vs. a Gmail, Yahoo, etc. account?

Thanks.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, full email. Advantages would primarily be about being in the same ecosystem and having generally better push notifications.

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the me.com simply an alias for iCloud.com?

11. vlinkz macrumors regular

Yes. iMessage for example works with all of my linked emails.