iCloud and multiple devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deellow, Oct 11, 2011.

1. deellow macrumors member

deellow

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum or if there is already a thread started elsewhere- if so, please direct me to where...

Those of you who have used iCloud beta, how is Photostream, contacts handled between iDevices? More specifically, my wife and I share the same Apple ID on our separate iPhones, will the photos she takes with her phone be sent to my phone and vice versa? If she adds a new contact to her phone, will it be added to mine?

Finally, can I tell iTunes/iCloud what folder to download pics from photostream to my computer or does it default to a specific folder?

Thanks.

As I said earlier, if there is already a thread on this elsewhere, please let me know so I can followup there!

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

3. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

There are some similar threads about.

To try and answer your question (from what I've picked up), it does seem that it will be a a problem to share an Apple id using iCloud as you will have issues with things like iMessage etc.

However, the Apple id you use for iCloud doesn't have to be the same one that you use for iTunes purchases, so you can still share iTunes purchases etc and have your own iCloud identity.

Hope that helps.

4. deellow thread starter macrumors member

deellow

Thanks, everyone. How do you go about adding a new Apple ID to your current one that allows you to use the same app/song purchases?

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would like to know if this is possible as well. It's a PITA to have 2 different logins.

6. Acevesx macrumors regular

7. deellow thread starter macrumors member

deellow

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Well my apple id is not an email address so it does NOT work with icloud, maybe this is a good thing... I share itunes account with my wife, so we both put the itunes account in and we each us DIFFERENT icloud logins so that everything there is separate - to me this is ideal, for others maybe not.

9. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Bear in mind that I haven't actually used it yet, so the details could be wrong, this is how I understand it to work.

There is an iCloud setting, where you enter your Apple ID. This will be one that you set up for each person. On this page you can decide whether it syncs things like calendars, contacts and photo stream etc.

There is also the Store setting (which is on devices now) where you can put in a different Apple ID. Here you say whether you want to automatically download Apps, Books and Music (if in the US).

As the ID's don't need to be the same, you can choose to have individual id's for the first section and the same one for the second.

I assume that the authorisation to play iTunes purchases still comes from the syncing computer, as is currently the case, or is from the Store setting. As you apparently don't need a computer now, if could be that it has changed to the Store setting. Perhaps someone can confirm.

10. deellow thread starter macrumors member

deellow

This sounds good to me. Let's hope it works this way in reality. Thanks for everyone's responses and keep them coming!