iCloud and purchased apps question.

endo689

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
This fall will iCloud allow us to download all previously purchased apps? Or only ones recently purchased with the latest version of iOS w/ iCloud?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This fall will iCloud allow us to download all previously purchased apps? Or only ones recently purchased with the latest version of iOS w/ iCloud?
You can ALREADY do this. This is a feature they've already put out there if you have the most recent version of iOS 4.

Go to SETTINGS > STORE and check that it's logged in correctly. Give it a second, the system has to enable that feature while you're on that screen. Then go to the 'updates' section of the app store on the phone and you'll see a 'purchased' bar on the top. Click that to see everything you've ever bought, ready to re-download.

endo689

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
You can ALREADY do this. This is a feature they've already put out there if you have the most recent version of iOS 4.

Go to SETTINGS > STORE and check that it's logged in correctly. Give it a second, the system has to enable that feature while you're on that screen. Then go to the 'updates' section of the app store on the phone and you'll see a 'purchased' bar on the top. Click that to see everything you've ever bought, ready to re-download.
Thanks for the quick response. Are you using an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 4? I'm not sure there is much of a difference between the two when it comes to the firmware updates (I'm using a VZW iPhone 4), but I did what you said and nothing is in my updates tab saying purchased in the App Store. I know this is in the iTunes App that I may re-download purchased music but not for apps.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Thanks for the quick response. Are you using an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 4? I'm not sure there is much of a difference between the two when it comes to the firmware updates (I'm using a VZW iPhone 4), but I did what you said and nothing is in my updates tab saying purchased in the App Store. I know this is in the iTunes App that I may re-download purchased music but not for apps.
I'm on AT&T, so if anyone else has a Verizon phone that knows about this comes in, that might be who can help you. I'm not sure.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm on AT&T, so if anyone else has a Verizon phone that knows about this comes in, that might be who can help you. I'm not sure.
I am pretty sure you need iOS 4.3.3 for this functionality, so Verizon customers are out of luck for now. They may have to wait for iOS 5.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I can confirm that the only way you can get this feature on vzw ATM is to upgrade to one of the betas. Not there on 4.2.8, not sure about 4.2.9 but I doubt it and I won't be finding out anyway so couldn't tell ya. As I said, can confirm IT IS NOT, in 4.2.8. I'll be glad when they get all iPhones(I mean most current iPhone on vzw and AT&T) on the same firmware. I've used both and can't tell any difference but still would be nice

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and my wife has a Verizon iPhone 4. It works fine on my AT&T phone but the option doesn't exist on the Verizon phone.

coolguy4747

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I don't know if you are trying to avoid using a computer, but you could download previously purchased apps in iTunes and then sync them to your phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't know if you are trying to avoid using a computer, but you could download previously purchased apps in iTunes and then sync them to your phone.
Well, for that matter he can also go and "buy" the app as normal on the iPhone and it will re-download free of charge.

That has always been possible, iCloud is just adding a way to make it easier and more obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.