iCloud and space on Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Sverkel, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sverkel macrumors regular

Sverkel

Hi.

My girlfriend got a MacBook Air with 128GB storage buts she is running out of space. So I was looking into moving all her files to iCloud but how will that work if I buy 1TB on iCloud and fill it with 500GB, will iCloud then try to put all of those 500GB onto her 128GB MacBook Air, or how does this work?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it will. There is a folder at ~/Library/Mobile Documents that is actually the iCloud Drive folder and anything in iCloud Drive will get downloaded to that folder on her Mac.

3. Sverkel thread starter macrumors regular

Sverkel

Is it possible to "disable" the connection to that folder somehow?

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

That's the issue I've always had with iCloud. You have to pay for the cloud storage, but you also have to have enough storage on your devices. I bought a WD mycloud wireless hard drive and offloaded everything onto that. It's a bit more work but I we able to pretty much empty my computers hd.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not that I am aware of.

I wish they would setup a selective sync option like Dropbox has where you can store things on Dropbox, but uncheck certain folder so they are not synced to the local computer.