iCloud app backups = never sync to Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    With iCloud will there be a reason to ever sync my iPhone/iPad to my Mac? Can I delete all my iPhone apps and app backups off my mac and use the iCloud to sync/backup all my data?

The reason that I ask is because I have over 30gb of iOS apps wasting space on my 120gb macbook... that is over a quarter of space wasted on apps that I don't use on my Mac. I only have 17GB of space left on my Mac, so it would really be nice to be able to delete all my iOS apps.

2. saving107, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I am going to say Yes and No.

Yes you will be able to delete all of those apps since they will be made available for re-download from the iCloud, but you should have a back-up of those apps somewhere else just in case.

Their is an old app that I used to have a while ago called "Uprising", and when Apple enabled the Purchase tab in the App Store I downloaded the app and played with for a while. Well last week my nephew deleted the app from my phone and so I went to go re-download it again, but now for some reason its currently unavailable. Good thing I still had the App on my iTunes and I able to just re-installed it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Hmm.... But can you keep backups on your Mac without Redownloading the app?

Also, if I delete an app from my iPhone and redownload it from the iCloud would it come with the saved backup?

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I'm almost positive it won't. Right now when I delete/reinstall a game it certainly doesn't keep the data. I really wish it would though...

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Darn... and are you using the latest iCloud (iOS 5) beta?

6. shandyman Suspended

No. app data backup is not individual, when you backup to iCloud, it's the phone as a whole, just like when you backup to your mac. That's how it is now. The question is, once devs use the new iCloud API's, it may be that they can work like the documents in the cloud, but we have to wait and see.

the apps have to be updated to use the new iCloud API's, so most games, if the dev's are on the ball, will get updates after iOS 5 is released.