iCloud App like Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveVA, Feb 9, 2012.

1. SteveVA macrumors newbie

Are you guys aware of any app that works like Dropbox with Apple iCloud?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

iCloud does not have DropBox-like functionality.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Not as far as I can tell. Just the web address.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

As others have already said, there is no other App to work with iCloud in the same way that Dropbox does. Apple have only just started with iCloud, and their previous attempt at documents in the cloud, iDisk was similar to Dropbox, but for some reason it was a lot slower at syncing your files. Apple may well bring this functionality back in the future.

Out of interest if you are looking for something just like Dropbox, why not just use Dropbox. It is a great cloud service and free if you need less that 2GB, which is more than enough for people to store office documents and pdfs.

5. nostylluan macrumors member

like the post above, there used to be idisk (online drive storage) in mobileme... but they switched to icloud and removed it...

there is 2 other sites like dropbox but the best one is dropbox.

you'll have to wait for idisk 2.0 like the rest of us... or use dropbox

6. *LTD*, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

For now, Dropbox is absolutely First Rate. I'm thoroughly impressed with the service. Its syncing function is also included in a wide range of iOS apps and their OS X versions, such as WriteRoom.

My biggest beef with iCloud is, as has been mentioned, that there is no iDisk-like storage capability. Beyond that, Documents in the Cloud syncing with Lion is a bit gimped at the moment. I'm referring to iWork (Pages) here.

Document syncing is seamless between iOS devices, but I have to use the iCloud website to download and upload Pages documents on OS X. By contrast, Dropbox simply has a folder to allow easy dragging and dropping. Now, there *is* a sync folder for Documents in the Cloud buried in the OS X filesystem, but using it Dropbox-style sometimes results in problems and document corruption. So it isn't a good idea to mess with that.

At some point I believe Apple *will* implement Documents in the Cloud syncing with OS X that will be better than whatever drag-and-drop paradigm is currently the ideal.

At the moment, however, this situation seems to suggest that Apple is encouraging iOS use above OS X use. At least tacitly.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

There is a folder inside the library directory called mobile documents, you can put thing in there to sync across macs and mobile devices. Just make an alias to it on your desktop for easy access.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I've read that this is a risky thing to do - possible document corruption, etc.

Have you experienced this?

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I actually have never tried it since I am happy using Dropbox. Though that sounds possible since it is using the service in a way that it isn't supposed to (yet?).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd stick with dropbox. They features, and service that are provided is definitely top notch.