iCloud as Dropbox replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kriista1234, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

I did a look around but didn't see anything posted.

Does anyone know if iCloud's 5gb or whatever it is is going to be user accessible? As in, Dropbox style. Or if it will only be for iOS stuff (photos, iwork etc..)

2. sir42 macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell, iCloud only syncs your iWork documents between your iOS devices, not your Mac. So to sync your docs between all of your OS X and iOS devices you would still need DropBox or SugarSync.

The problem is that iWork documents aren't very compatible between iOS and OS X. That is, you can't really round trip an iWork document between OS X, iOS and back to OS X without losing some of your original formatting.

I keep hoping they will improve this but there doesn't seem to be any sign that a fix is in the works.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Someone will integrate an app with iCloud using the API which will allow it to function as Dropbox does today.

Expect Goodreader to be one of the first to support it.

4. bp1000 macrumors 65816

What?? That's crazy, how can that not have a simple function like this.

I thought icloud keeps all devices sync-ed.

5. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's kind of sucky. Dropbox is great so I can just keep using that, I would've just imagined that iCloud would take over what iDisk did too.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Dropbox has served me well. I know that I can rely on it.

iCloud is an unproven service from a company that just doesn't "get it" when it comes to cloud services. This time may be different though.

I was highly impressed to discover that Apple has contracted with Microsoft Azure & Amazon EC2 to run iCloud. This alone will bring a level of expertise that Apple lacks.

Kind of like Apples inability to produce a usable phone for the iPhone series.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

What planet are you living on? The iPhone 4 is the worlds best selling mobile phone, with the highest customer satisfaction rating.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Yep. And as Chancellor of Germany, Hitler was loved and had a great following.

The iPhone excels at almost everything HANDS DOWN. (it's just a lousy "telephone" IMO).

It will for specific applications. Or do you expect iCloud to mirror every byte of every device?

9. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

Apple people (i am also a user :) on average (not forum users) tend to take what is givin to them by Apple and consider it perfect. having had all the iPhones until 4 but having a few i have in my work force i can tell you that the iPhone is a great device but as just a phone is worse than anything i had used in the last 5 years. terrible phone great device.

back to iCloud

i used iDisk for 5 years or so and it worked great if you were on an Apple device but was not very feature rich across the board and nearly impossible to access on Android devices. however Dropbox works perfectly on my Android, Apple, Windows, Linux, and WebOS devices. although i paid for iDisk for all these years i still had to buy Dropbox to get something that worked as it should for all my devices and OS's. i assume that iCloud will be even more restrictive sadly.

10. gyorpb macrumors member

The API's to implement iCloud syncing are available to any application program, in Lion.

.tsooJ

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

Not sure why the negative ding on this, the poster is right. Many people turn a blind eye to anythng that doesn't come from Apple, the fact is, iDisk was good, but DropBox is better, both on OSX and across platforms.

But perhaps the biggest reason I moved to DropBox was the arse ache I had to endure moving all 7000 pictures and 12 gigs of data off of MM because Apple decided they did not want to be in that business anymore. Yeah I had until June, but do it now, or do it later, I had to do it.

The key is, API or not, with iCloud now we have to wait and see what will come from third parties and if Apple will allow it, and no one knowns if Apple will decide in two years iCloud isn't interesting and kill it. With companies like DropBox they are in the business of data storage and cross platform support, it is what they do, it is all they do, I suspect they will do it for a while. Oh and the fact that it works flawlessly on my Mac, iPhone, iPad and Windows devices is even better.

12. stewacide macrumors regular

You're probably better off using Dropbox since it has wide platform support. The who idea is to access your files wherever / on whatever, right?

13. gyorpb macrumors member

DropBox is still tied to the classic, hierarchical file system way of doing things. Apple are moving away from that, and iCloud is part of that strategy.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

That just goes to show you how low most peoples standards are. They simply don't know any better.

They're gullible enough to believe Apple & Jobs Hype like: the iPad is "Magical & Revolutionary" ... ha..ha...ha.... yeah right :eek:

Mikey will eat anything and Apple lemmings will buy anything, it's all the same.

Meaningless, unless of course one is a worshiper. It's a religion.

15. DonMega macrumors regular

Hater...

Shouldn't you be posting on WinRumors?

16. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit confused. What makes the iPhone a bad "telephone"? Long-time Sprint customer here.