Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Say I have some ripped MP3s, Can I sych them with iCloud or is it apple stuff only? Will I be able to do this in the full version?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
iTunes match won't do you any good for bootlegs or otherwise undistributed stuff but if you ripped your own retail CDs then it should work just fine. The way I understood it was basically, if it's on iTunes, then iTunes match will pick it up even if you didn't buy it from iTunes.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
iTunes match won't do you any good for bootlegs or otherwise undistributed stuff but if you ripped your own retail CDs then it should work just fine. The way I understood it was basically, if it's on iTunes, then iTunes match will pick it up even if you didn't buy it from iTunes.

not all true. in the keynote Steve said if it WAS NOT in iTunes and iTunes Match can't match it then you can upload it to the iCloud

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
yeah that's right. But what I meant was if you had a bootleg for example, iTunes Match wouldn't be necessary and you can manually upload it. Do I have that right? Or do you have to pay the money anyway just to manually upload your own rips?

I guess since iCloud is rolling out in pieces it's hard to see exactly what we're dealing with.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124

How is iTunes going to tell if it's been ripped by you, or by someone else? iTunes match will take all the stuff you've stolen and make it legit. You won't even have to bootleg the whole file anymore, just the meta data, and Apple'll just hand it to you. All for the low price of 25 buck a year.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
when I said bootleg I was referring to material that was never "for sale". Like a live over the air recording that found its way to the web. I have a lot of live tracks that were never released in stores.

Or another example, when you go to see some local talent (or not talent) and they give you a CD that they made at a local studio- iTunes isn't going to know what that is.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
when I said bootleg I was referring to material that was never "for sale". Like a live over the air recording that found its way to the web. I have a lot of live tracks that were never released in stores.

Or another example, when you go to see some local talent (or not talent) and they give you a CD that they made at a local studio- iTunes isn't going to know what that is.

yes you are right then I was referring tot he same there a lot of live TV performances from awards shows and specials that I turned into mp3s off YouTube. Those songs from my understanding will be able to upload via iTunes Mach subcription

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
To clear things up: When you sign up for iTunes match iTunes checks what songs you have which are availible on iTunes. If the song is availible on iTunes Apple will convert it to AAC and let you use it with iCloud. If it isn't on iTunes you can upload the song to the cloud.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
ITunes match should use the CDDB database to match the song if you ripped it off a CD to iTunes. this match in info would translate across to iTunes library that is kept by Apple. If some of your music isn't from CDs, they will probably get uploaded to Apple's database in the sky for storage which isn't part of the 5GB limit. I will probably end up causing issues with the service if this is the case since I have a huge library of live performances which I recorded on my system. I'm wondering if I will crash the iTunes match server since a lot of this Jazz stuff is similar to other performances on CD.

zOdeac

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
One would think is what they are doing is trying to get all the people out there with them mp3s to signup for there service. One part of me thinks it would be hard for them to figure out if i have ether used a ripper software package or downloaded it.

But i think this match thing is a good thing if they just say ok so you have some that are not legit but lets make it legit. Now that your all legit lets see if you keep uploading single MP3s or do you do full CDs or buy from them.

My guess is a lot of people would buy a few more songs from them and they make more money. Yes i know they lost all the money form the ones you have downloaded and installed but they lost the money when you did it in the beginning. My though is give people a chance to get legit and hope they stay that way and buy more songs.

Just my two cents is i don't think there out to get anyone i think its a smart way of trying to get you to start using there service for buying other songs and making money. Really think its a smart marketing tool.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
ITunes match should use the CDDB database to match the song if you ripped it off a CD to iTunes. this match in info would translate across to iTunes library that is kept by Apple. If some of your music isn't from CDs, they will probably get uploaded to Apple's database in the sky for storage which isn't part of the 5GB limit. I will probably end up causing issues with the service if this is the case since I have a huge library of live performances which I recorded on my system. I'm wondering if I will crash the iTunes match server since a lot of this Jazz stuff is similar to other performances on CD.

No Way you'd crash Anything

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I don't get what all this about "legitimizing pirated music" is about. Downloading/uploading is the only way for someone to figure out you pirated it, so why does it matter if songs you already have on your hard drive are "legitimized" by this service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.