iCloud backup and jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by corruptfate, Jan 20, 2012.

1. corruptfate macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have my 4S synced to the iCloud and after the jailbreak I would like to preserve all my texts and my pictures and data as well. What can I do to make sure all my text messages, contacts and calendar stuff are still there?
    Will I just need it to resync with iCloud? Will iCloud work with a jb iphone?

Thanks guys

2. menotiko macrumors newbie

I was just about to post a question similar to this.

Does Jailbreaking affect iCloud backup in any way? And can i restore fro that backup on a non jailbroken device?

Also, what happens if i want to update in the future? Do i go to settings and update from there or do i go download the whole OS again and restore from that?

3. seventysix macrumors newbie

4. lokiju, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

lokiju macrumors 6502

The only way that I know of to do a iCloud restore is to do a "Erase All Content and Settings".

There's not other way to kick off a restore from iCloud.

You're supposed to be able to do the jailbreak then do the "Erase All Content and Settings" then reboot and set up and do iCloud restore and everything should work with the jailbreak after that.

In trying this though, Cydia would not launch after doing the restore. I did not however launch Cydia before doing the Erase and iCloud restore so cannot completely say the restore was the cause.

I should note that my reply was based on the assumption that you followed the absinthe jailbreak guides that recommend doing a full erase and reset before doing the jailbreak and then restoring after that.

Jailbreaking in itself does not have any impact on iCloud functions.

5. bellaisa macrumors regular

um...jailbreaking does not delete all your content...just saying...and no, it doesn't affect icloud. i use it just fine.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Jailbreaking will not affect anything on your phone, once you jailbreak everything in there will still be there, iCloud won;t be affected at all either if you are backing up to iCloud, you will be backing up after jailbreak. (note that jailbreak app and setting won't backup to iCloud)

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

jailbreak and just continue using iCloud like nothing happened...

8. danistyping macrumors regular

OK let me ask you guys this -

I back up to iCloud

I Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1

I back up to iCloud again.

Now I want to go back to regular iOS 5.0.1

When i restore the phone, is it jailbroken or not?

If not, is there any way to keep my settings/contacts etc from the pre-jailbreak days?

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

After I jailbroke with Absinthe all my apps were gone. I erased all content and settings, restored from iCloud, and everything was fine.