iCloud backup & camera roll

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Soshjr88, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Soshjr88 macrumors newbie

I did a search on this and didn't find any results so here goes:

I have the basic 5GB iCloud storage plan and have two devices backing up to it. I have one iPhone backing up all of its data (including 3GB worth of photos from camera roll). The other device has been restored from the iPhones backup and I don't want it to have its camera roll backed up (it's the same camera roll so 3GB). When I go to turn off the camera roll for my second device, it says "Do you want to turn off Camera Roll backups and delete the backup data from iCloud?"

I don't want to delete all my photos from iCloud, I just don't want my second device to have its photos backed up and my iPhone can have its Camera Roll backed up.

Any clarification on this would be really appreciated and if you need me to explain anything (cause this is a bit of a confusing ordeal), let me know!

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I think you have a confusion between iCloud backups and iCloud "sync"
    (so to speak).

The former, which is what you are probably using, is just like the regular old iTunes backup, but on iCloud and it's independent on each device, so if you hit "Yes" on that warning message chances are you won't delete your photos, since they are just backed up as the first iPhone.

Now, there are iCloud services that basically "save" your data.
    This is more like the regular "in the cloud" approach by DropBox and so on.
    With those you can have your contacts, mail (.me mail I think?) and others, including photos (it's called photo stream) synched between devices so you save a game on an iPhone and can restart from that save point on the other, you take a picture on the iPhone and then it downloads on the other and so on.

If you are using photo stream, then your data would be deleted, but I doubt you're using photo stream because it doesn't sound like it (you were clear about backups and restoring from them) and I think basically photo stream won't let you delete pictures, as they get auto-removed each month (I think), they don't count over your quota and there is a 1000 limit (I think), so it works more like a quick photo backup while you can download those on your Mac/PC at home without risk of losing them, or with the chance to make some free space on the iDevice.