Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
For the last several weeks I’ve been capturing the console logs of our iPhone 6s and 5s (both running iOS 9.2.1) during their daily iCloud backups using Apple Configurator 2 app (available free in the app store).

50% of the 6s and 39% of the 5s daily iCloud backups have failed to complete on their first try. The entries in the console log include “ Backup failed: Saving asset”, “Backup failed: Encryption key changed”, and “Backup failed: 1 files are missing encryption keys”.

iCloud Backups.png

These daily iCloud backups include both those which I allowed to kick off “automatically” (i.e. 24 hours after the last successful iCloud backup completed) and those which I kicked off manually via Settings>iCloud>Backup> Back Up Now. All of the automatic iCloud backups that failed, did so silently. IOW there was no indication that the backup failed, other than the time stamp of the last successful backup did not change. All of the manual backups that failed, did so with the message “The last backup could not be completed” along with the time stamp of the last successful iCloud backup (Setting>iCloud>Backup).

Maybe these iCloud backup failures are just a “personal problem” or maybe many iOS 9 daily automatic iCloud backups fail and most people never notice because they fail silently.

—GetRealBro

Last edited:

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I had the same problem. I deleted last iCloud backup, then turned iCloud backup off, then back on, then manual backup. That backup worked and seems to be backing up at night again.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
I had the same problem.....
Thanks for the reply.

What were the error messages in the console log when your iCloud backups failed, e.g. “Backup failed: Saving asset…” or Backup failed: Encryption key changed…” or “Backup failed: 1 files are missing encryption keys…” or something else ?

—GetRealBro

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

What were the error messages in the console log when your iCloud backups failed, e.g. “Backup failed: Saving asset…” or Backup failed: Encryption key changed…” or “Backup failed: 1 files are missing encryption keys…” or something else ?

—GetRealBro

I have no idea, I never checked. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.