iCloud Backup & iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by varsityhero, Sep 10, 2014.

1. varsityhero macrumors regular

So I was wondering if someone could clarify how these two features work for me. Before enabling iCloud Photo Library, my iCloud backup was a couple of GBs. I have since enabled iCloud Photo Library and have it set to "Download and Keep Originals" and not "Optimize iPhone Storage." Since I have turned it on, my phone has backed up to iCloud and now the backup size is about 500MB.

So my question is... are my photos no longer backed up with my regular backup because they are already in the iCloud Photo Library? And when I get my new iPhone 6 and restore from iCloud backup, will my photos & videos automatically download and be stored on the device itself because I have it set to "Download and Keep Originals"?

This may seem like sort of a silly question, but just want to make sure I did not make a mistake by enabling iCloud Photo Library. And yes, I know it is still in beta testing. Thanks :D

2. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

From what I understand the photos get out into their own folder once iCloud Photos is enabled.

So they are still backed up but just separate from the Phone Backup.

Just wish I actually had the option to enable this feature myself.

3. mailliw macrumors member

I too don't have an option for this. And, more confusingly, I don't have the option to back anything up. Has it moved? I can go to Settings, iCloud, Storage, Manage Storage and see the last backup - but no way to initiate a new one, ala ios7.

Am I blind?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Settings -> iCloud -> Scroll all the way down and Backup will be there.

5. mailliw macrumors member

Thank you. I am a cretin.

6. varsityhero thread starter macrumors regular

One more question. If I turn off the feature it says I have 30 days to download my photos. But since I have it set to "Download and Keep Originals," I don't have to worry about downloading them because they're already on my phone... Correct?