Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
guys - i would like to use icloud to backup ONLY a few things - my home settings and how the icons are placed, phone settings, apps settings, apps login data, keychain. So far in general, I have icloud backup, keychain & home selected. Anything else I need to select?

Also making sure Home in settings refers to home icons, etc and not Apple home automation

Does icloud backup truly backup all apps settings? In the past, when I restore, I have to re-enter passwords for most apps and past settings need to be reconfigured too

Thanks

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
What you choose to HAVE in iCloud is different than what gets BACKED UP to iCloud. When an iCloud backup is chosen, everything but the apps themselves gets backed up and you can’t pick & choose what it will be. All or nothing. The apps get downloaded again from the App Store.

If you keep stuff in iCloud, then it’s as good as a backup because it’s on apple’s redundant servers, but you can’t save all your settings as a separate configuration file by itself. Settings are only saved during a full backup.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I should have clarified better - I don't need the actual apps backed up (just their settings). Also if that's not an option, then which is the option which backs up the iphone settings, how apps are displayed on the main screen etc?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There’s two backup options. Either back up to your Mac or to iCloud. Both are full backups.
Restoring from either will give the same results.
Apps actually never are backed up. Just references to them. During the restore process, the installer will pull the apps from the App Store.

The only way to use a backup is to wipe the phone and install from it.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Ok under settings under icloud, what does the Home option indicate?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m using iOS 14 so it might have different settings than iOS 15, but Home Settings are typically all the settings that have been set up in the Home app if you use that. They’d be lighting schedules & stuff. Whatever power devices you’ve got linked to the Home app.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
guys - i would like to use icloud to backup ONLY a few things - my home settings and how the icons are placed, phone settings, apps settings, apps login data, keychain. So far in general, I have icloud backup, keychain & home selected. Anything else I need to select?

Also making sure Home in settings refers to home icons, etc and not Apple home automation

Does icloud backup truly backup all apps settings? In the past, when I restore, I have to re-enter passwords for most apps and past settings need to be reconfigured too

Thanks
Most of my settings are good to go but had to enter password, which only makes sense, new phone ID detected. I use 3rd party pswd manager (iCloud if that's what you used should be fine) so that is #1 priority download. Quite good. I synced from iPad to iPhone, both on 15.2. It is much easier on iOS than when setting up an Android device where it takes longer by hours. No settings needed. Might be the apps you use of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.