Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Hello everyone :)

I recently bought an iPhone 4S and have my phone set to backup to iCloud.

However, I have run out of space immediately, due to a huge amount of music on my phone. I back up my music to my PC and external hard drive anyway, so have no real desire for iCloud to back it up too.

Is there any way of switching off music backups and just having the phone back up my apps, settings and other data? :confused:

Jetfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I'm guessing that with 179 views of my thread and no response, that's a no! :( Ah well, thanks for looking. Back to the drawing board...

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
itunes bought media doesn't count against your allowance, and until itunes match is launched i don't think there's anyway to backup non itunes music to icloud anyway, so I doubt you have run out of space because of your music.

Check in settings - icloud - backup and storage, to see whats taking up all your space, its probably some data from an app.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
itunes bought media doesn't count against your allowance, and until itunes match is launched i don't think there's anyway to backup non itunes music to icloud anyway, so I doubt you have run out of space because of your music.

Check in settings - icloud - backup and storage, to see whats taking up all your space, its probably some data from an app.
And turn off the app you don't want to backup, such as Music.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Backup ignores music and video. App data and settings is backed up. I'm using almost all of my 16GB storage, but only have a 741mb backup.

Jetfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Ahhhh thanks so much everyone. I'm TOTALLY new to Apple devices and am still learning about how they work.

You are of course right. I was being dim, and it was actually some HD video I had recorded which was sending me over the 5GB. I just didn't know how to view what exactly was taking me over the limit!

Thanks guys. Feeling a little stupid now but have now copied all of my pics and vids to my computer and my phone is much less bloated now, and hopefully iCloud backup will work tonight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.