iCloud Backup Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theBigD23, Oct 8, 2011.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

It seems like iCloud backs up everything I need, except videos I take with the iPhone. Is backing up videos taken with the iPhone every so often the only way?

It seems to be the same way with pictures... when it syncs with iPhoto, manually drag any pictures to a local folder. We still have to remember that images are deleted every 30 days or up to the last 1,000.

2. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

iCloud backs up the "camera roll", as far as i know that includes both photos and videos. I've not tested it myself though.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am hoping it will work good. i plan on having iOS5 downloaded to all my devices by Thursday and then using the Cloud to activate my new 4S.

Question is can I get it downloaded as the servers will be really busy!

4. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Well, I've been using the iOS 5 GM on my iPhone 4 since it was seeded last week, and i've tried restoring from iCloud and it worked fine, but don't forget that you'll still need iTunes to sync your music. Unless you've downloaded all your music from the iTunes Store, then iTunes in the Cloud has you covered for that!

5. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, I never read that anywhere. If that's the case then it is really a full backup solution. I guess there is no way to test this. I thought it would only backup the last 1000 pictures for the last 30 days. I also never read about video.

For music, the iTunes in the cloud will take care of that. I also use TM.

6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it backs up videos and pics. It's a full blown backup solution.

7. gordonnay macrumors member

I think the iCloud thing is great etc, but if you need to restore from it , surely thats going to take a long time if you've got 20gb of music and apps etc???

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're right, but the intent is to allow users to have an iDevice without the need for a computer.

For those with computers, you should be able to wirelessly sync to it instead.

iCloud brings another option into the mix!

9. 2010RS macrumors 6502

So if you have an earlier model iPhone (ie. 3GGS/4) you can upload all your info to iCloud on the 12th and then download it to your 4S when you get it on the 14th - no PC required?

10. iSkier macrumors regular

What if you don't have an older iPhone? Is it possible to get the stuff you want on the cloud and then restore from backup? I guess there's no real point in this though...

11. gadget.guy macrumors member

can only the music you've bought via itunes be uploaded to the icloud or can you just upload music ie google music beta . I know itunes match is coming but it won't be available in the uk until next month at the earliest.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

No, it knows what apps you have and downloads them from the app store.

It doesn't keep you own copies of the apps and music up in the cloud.

My back up of my iPad with 9 GB of apps is around 240mb

13. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm also assuming that the app data will also be backed up. I'm so excited about the camera roll being uploaded. I have a Mac pro and my 320 HD is nearly full. Deleting an iPhone and ipad backup will actually save me a lot of space.