iCloud Backup questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Sir Ruben, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi All,

I used iCloud for the first time last night and Im a bit unclear on the following, so any help would be appreciated!

1) When I went to do my first iCloud backup I had to eventually cancel it. I started it when I went to bed and by this morning it was only on about 10%? I notice in the settings that it backs up all your apps as well, is this nessessary and even so should it take that long?

2) With iCloud backup activated it says that it will no longer backup to iTunes, I would like it to do both, whats the best way of working this?

3) In the iCloud settings switching on the backup option for notes prompts me to create an @me.com address, why?

4) Does backing up 'Documents & Data' backup your game saves and app settings etc or is it something else?

Thanks for any advice :D

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

1) first back-up is usually slow, never had it as long as you state but depends how much data you have on device. Apps are not backed up, but app data is.

2) only way I can see to do this is to switch off iCloud backup and connect to iTunes wired when you want to backup to iTunes and then switch iCloud backup on again afterwards.

3) notes are stored with email, as they appear in mac Mail app, assume this is why you will need a mail account setting up

4) no, game saves are backed up with iCloud backup. Document and data is for iWork docs, MS office docs and something else I can't remember at the moment.

3. shandyman Suspended

1) When I went to do my first iCloud backup I had to eventually cancel it. I started it when I went to bed and by this morning it was only on about 10%? I notice in the settings that it backs up all your apps as well, is this nessessary and even so should it take that long?

As stated, first one is the longest, but once done, you can change it by disabling certain apps from backing up, i disabled spotify (as it copied all the locally stored music) and ComicZeal (as it had all the comics i had on it) that brought me down to 300Mb as opposed to 4Gb

2) With iCloud backup activated it says that it will no longer backup to iTunes, I would like it to do both, whats the best way of working this?

you can still backup to itunes, just manually initiate it, don't even need to turn iCloud off for this

3) In the iCloud settings switching on the backup option for notes prompts me to create an @me.com address, why?

Cos with iCloud, you get a free email address.

4) Does backing up 'Documents & Data' backup your game saves and app settings etc or is it something else?

at the mo, it's for pages, numbers, etc, presumably this will expand.