iCloud Backup Size Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thekjs88, Nov 29, 2012.

1. thekjs88 macrumors member

Posted this in the iCloud thread, but this seems section seems to get more action! I have seen this posted a few times, but with no definitive answer:

My iPhone backup is 2.4 GB. When I click to see the apps that are backed up, the biggest thing is the camera--32.0MB, and the rest are all considerably smaller than that. I have no voice memos or reminders, and my camera roll only has one video and a few pictures. I have iCloud Mail turned off, as well as Safari and Passbook. I deleted all of my iMessages (a lot of them had videos/pics I had sent...though I do use iMessage for Mac and haven't deleted all of those). Nothing changes. Any ideas why the backup is so big?

Thanks!

2. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

What fixes it for me was sliding over the camera backup to no. Sync. Slide it to yes, and resync.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

It does keep several backups ( more than a single day), so that might be part of the reason.

4. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried this and it didn't work. It seems like even if I turn off EVERYTHING and sync, the backup stays the same size. Can't find anything else on it.

5. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Strange...

6. thekjs88 thread starter macrumors member

Does Apple say this anywhere? I have heard this also but can't find it anywhere. My backup is now up to 2.7 GB and I'm not sure why. No new pics or vids. If it keeps iMessage backups even if I delete them, I guess that could make sense, but the biggest app backup is camera at only 34.6 MB.

7. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

My iPhone 4s - I cleared out the gigabytes in the camera (videos) and the iCloud backup stayed the same for weeks. I recently lost my iPhone 4s to a Target parking lot (no it was my fault for dropping it). :( I decided to setup my 5 from scratch so it's super small backup (190mb).

But my 4s's backup size was 2.5GB - almost like yours - no matter what I uninstalled or deleted.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just stop the syncing and delete the backup from the icloud app in your pc. Then resync. That should clean it up. Worked for me. :cool:

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I only say this because when i restored from my cloud backup, i had more than 1 choice of backups to use.