Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I received my iPhone 6 yesterday and immediately began restoring my iCloud backup, and more than 24hrs later it is still restoring. I understand Apple's servers are probably being hammered at the moment but my backup wasn't that large. It's also chewing through a *tonne* of my broadband quota - I've gone through about 50GB more data than usual and, backup restoration aside, I'm not using any more data than usual.

Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Any ideas why a ~15GB backup would be taking 50GB+ of my quota to restore?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Yep, iClould restore was slow. Started after dinner yesterday. It finished loading but still was intermittently updating apps well into the night. Was finished before I woke up.

Normally an iCloud restore takes just a couple of hours to fully update everything on my rather packed 32 gb device.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
So its normal for my photos to still be "resorting" after 12 hours? So far it just says downloading when I open the photos app.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
So its normal for my photos to still be "resorting" after 12 hours? So far it just says downloading when I open the photos app.

Mine was doing that too (like I said, for 24 hours) - and I have 14GB worth of photos. So yeah, I'd say it's normal for now.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Here is an article on Apple's support site that answers all the questions you may have on restoring from iCloud backups.

The restore process is taking a long time to finish.
The amount of time needed by the restore process depends on your geographical location and the speed of your Internet connection. Even with a fast Internet connection, the restore process might take 1 to 4 hours per gigabyte to complete.

If you're traveling between countries, the restore process might take longer than usual. iCloud is tuned to provide the best service when you're in the geographical location from which you most frequently connect to the Internet. When restoring from an iCloud backup, iCloud is tuned to provide the best service in the geographical region you were in when you created the backup.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Interesting - thanks for that. I wonder if the restore process could be completed faster if the device downloaded the all the files first before restoring them. It seems strange that a 4GB iTunes file downloads much faster than 4GB worth of iCloud data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.