iCloud backup taking 24hrs+ to restore

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Matt T, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I received my iPhone 6 yesterday and immediately began restoring my iCloud backup, and more than 24hrs later it is still restoring. I understand Apple's servers are probably being hammered at the moment but my backup wasn't that large. It's also chewing through a *tonne* of my broadband quota - I've gone through about 50GB more data than usual and, backup restoration aside, I'm not using any more data than usual.

Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Any ideas why a ~15GB backup would be taking 50GB+ of my quota to restore?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

Yep, iClould restore was slow. Started after dinner yesterday. It finished loading but still was intermittently updating apps well into the night. Was finished before I woke up.

Normally an iCloud restore takes just a couple of hours to fully update everything on my rather packed 32 gb device.

3. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

Apple must have bugged my line because my restore literally just finished :)

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

So its normal for my photos to still be "resorting" after 12 hours? So far it just says downloading when I open the photos app.

5. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

Mine was doing that too (like I said, for 24 hours) - and I have 14GB worth of photos. So yeah, I'd say it's normal for now.

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I don't have 14 GB worth. My backup is about 6 GB. I guess I'll just not panic and let it sit overnight.

7. cassini007 macrumors member

Same here. It took me 3 days to complete the process.

8. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Here is an article on Apple's support site that answers all the questions you may have on restoring from iCloud backups.

9. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

Interesting - thanks for that. I wonder if the restore process could be completed faster if the device downloaded the all the files first before restoring them. It seems strange that a 4GB iTunes file downloads much faster than 4GB worth of iCloud data.