iCloud backup vs iTunes backup

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by cappers, Jul 30, 2013.

1. cappers macrumors member

Can anyone advise the difference of what is exactly backed up/not backed up. I understand there is a difference, but not sure what.
    I currently back up to my laptop and thinking of going to cloud, but want to be sure should I have to re-install

Thanks for any help

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well I have always said "Cloud" services are only as good as your ISP speed and the server load at the other end.

3. cappers thread starter macrumors member

That is always a factor of course, but are the back ups identical or is the iTunes one more than the icloud? If si do you know what is omitted from the icloud backup?

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Take a look at this article (and the additional links at the bottom):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Note that you can do both iCloud and (manual) iTunes backups.

One difference is the way encrypted Keychain data (stored passwords etc.) are handled. If you make an *encrypted* iTunes backup, you can later restore the Keychain data to another device. If you use iCloud or unencrypted iTunes backup, the data can only be restored on the same device from which the backup was originally made (because in this case the data is encrypted using a device-specific key).

5. cappers thread starter macrumors member

That is very useful Rigby, exactly what what I wanted know. Thanks