Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I'm trying to understand iCloud backup. I was under the assumption one of the main reasons to get iCloud is it backs everything up.

The 5GB limit makes me think iCloud backs you up until 5GB, then it stops backing up unless you buy more? Just need some clarification. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
It backs up your apps, app data, photos and videos.. But not your ripped music.. You need to buy iTunes Match for that

Thanks. Does it stop at 5GB until you buy more? Just curious.

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I'm trying to understand iCloud backup. I was under the assumption one of the main reasons to get iCloud is it backs everything up.

The 5GB limit makes me think iCloud backs you up until 5GB, then it stops backing up unless you buy more? Just need some clarification. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Since they're delta backups, I assume that it works like Time Machine and removes old, redundant content. I'm not sure however, so don't hold me to that.

Also, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but can anyone explain why iBooks takes up so much space in iCloud backups?

I have 18 books, taking up 70MB, but on my Mac, these books amount to only 38MB...

A friend of mine has an iBooks backup size of 280MB...

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
BTW, I guess I don't understand the whole process, but can't you just back up your apps, music, & all that in iTunes for free?

What do you essentially gain with iCloud backup & iTunes match?

Confused

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
BTW, I guess I don't understand the whole process, but can't you just back up your apps, music, & all that in iTunes for free?

What do you essentially gain with iCloud backup & iTunes match?

Confused

Yes you can.

But it's a convenience thing.

Let's say you're in another state and you lose your iPhone or it dies.

You don't have your laptop with iTunes backup on it with you.

So you buy a new phone that has absolutely no data at all on it. How do you get your stuff now?

Well, if you were backing up to iCloud, simply enter your AppleID and all of your content is put back exactly as it was the last time your phone backed up to iCloud (once every 24 hours).

It's handy especially for those people who want to be completely PC Free or don't have a computer.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.