iCloud Backups are not running automatically with iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by isohovik, Sep 28, 2014.

1. isohovik macrumors newbie

Hello all! I did some searching, but could find a similar thread.

My issue is that once I upgraded to iOS 8, my iCloud backups no longer happen automatically. I confirmed I am connected to WiFi and the phone is locked, but to no avail. I saw this issue running 8.0 as well as 8.0.2.

I have also confirmed the issue occurs on my Retina iPad Mini, and iPhone 6.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

2. jayes macrumors regular

After reading your post, I checked my iCloud backup and sure enough, the last backup was several days ago. I had set it for automatic backup. Or at least I thought I had. But when I checked my phone under iCloud > backup, it was turned off. I turned it back on and it backed up as it should. Then I recalled that I had last backed it up in iTunes and had checked off Backup to Computer. Looks like this had changed my backup from over iCloud to computer until I told it otherwise. Could this be your situation? After I back up to my comptuer, I have to remember to switch it back to icloud in iTunes. Or at least I think this is what happened. Wifi sync in iTunes is not working, but looks like the backup option is.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My devices on iOS8 auto backup only about every other day if plugged in to charge (and connected to Wifi and locked)

4. isohovik thread starter macrumors newbie

That did it

Ok, so I plugged it into iTunes and it was set to iCloud backup. I changed it to iTunes, then back to iCloud. Once I charged it, I was asked for my Apple ID password. Once I typed that in, backups have been working ever since.

Not sure what caused this, but glad it's working now. Thanks for the help!

5. Kevitivity macrumors newbie

My auto backups are working when plugged in and connected to wi-fi.

6. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Resurrecting this thread.... Anyone else having this problem? Seems that all of a sudden, my iPhone 5 ignores the "auto-backup" setting. Loads of available room in the cloud, phone plugged in, on wifi, locked screen, yet the last backup was ten days ago.

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but seemed to work correctly after I did a user-triggered backup. Apparently, the problem persists.

Any advice out there? I haven't connected the phone to iTunes (via USB) in months, so that can't/shouldn't be the problem. :::stumped:::