iCloud causing massive battery drain.

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by fenderbass146, Nov 14, 2016.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I am having some major issues with my devices battery life. My iPad and iPhone are both on the current update and in the last week my battery life has went to ****....and my usage and standby time are the same. I did all the normal fixes....hard reset, clean install, delete mail accounts blah blah blah....well I have finally narrowed it down.

When I sign completely out of iCloud on my devices it fixes the issues, but as soon as I sign back in the issue is back. I even tried disabling all the features in iCloud and with them all off I still have the battery issue. WTF is going on. My love of Apple is getting real thin. I can't seem to figure out a way to fix this.

2. skaclown macrumors member

Have you tried deleting and adding back your icloud account?

3. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Like I said...I sign out it fixes it...when I sign back in the issue comes back.

4. epelba01 macrumors member

I had a similar issue about a year ago. What I found is that signing out of my Apple TV, would stop the drain on my battery on the ios devices. I reported it to Apple back then and there was an update issued for the Apple TV that resolved it.

5. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Intersting...I have a 1080p Apple TV third gen I think.... I never use it but it is plugged in and online.

6. moytb713 macrumors newbie

I found this, but my Apple TV was not logged into iCloud. I don't remember which generation I have, but it's the last one before I could download apps to it, if that makes sense. Something to try at least.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a solution to this? I have a request into Apple Support, but they're waiting on Engineering to get back to me with some requests.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apparently have the News toggle turned on in iCloud settings can cause syncing issues that drain battery.

8. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I actually found the solution. Resetting my Apple Id password fixes it...but I think iCloud Control Panel on Windows is the problem. More specifically I think it's an issue with bookmark syncing on Windows based computers.

9. moytb713 macrumors newbie

@fenderbass146 - I tried disabling the iCloud for Windows on both of my Windows machines and that did not help. I did try out @Mlrollin91 thought about the News toggle and re-enabled my iCloud, since it was off due to my issues, hard reset my devices and so far so good. Battery life is back to expected. Left unplugged overnight on my nightstand and it drained 1%. Will continue to test, as the issue usually returns after a day or so, but if this works, I will finally have a functioning iPhone 7 Plus.

10. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Glad that worked for you. Mine was defiantly related to iCloud Control panel.

11. LionheartUK macrumors newbie

LionheartUK

Removing the iCloud for Windows Application has fixed the battery drain issue for me too. This issue also caused my device to use massive amounts of mobile data through push notification and Documents&sync. Thanks a lot for posting the workaround, I can happily live without iCloud on my Windows PC!