@iCloud.com Account?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rofflesaurrr, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Rofflesaurrr macrumors newbie

Is anyone else able to create a new icloud account under Beta 4? I did a restore of my iPad 3 and attempted to create a new account during the initial setup and it gave me the following error.

"Cant Create Apple ID"

"Apple ID couldn't be created because of a server error."

I tried again under the iCloud section in the settings menu and received the same error.

I'm not trying to switch from a @me.com address. It is a completely new account. I'm attempting a firstnamelastname@icloud.com address. The @me.com version is already in use. Would that have anything to do with it?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Youre doing it wrong.

Read the changelog and documentation that was on the apple developer page with the beta.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You don't need to create it if you already have a "firstnamelastname"@me.com, just use the same "firstnamelastname"@icloud.com...it will be already set up...if you log onto icloud beta with your @me.com account and go to mail preferences you can see the @icloud corresponding to your @me.com email is already there...

4. philMBP macrumors 6502

This topic has been covered in the developer site forums. Did you check there?

5. Rofflesaurrr thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have access to the developer forum. A coworker has a developer account and he registered my iPad for me. I'm just checking it out and will probably roll back to 5.1 eventually.

I understand if I have johndoe@me.com, I already will own the @icloud.com equivalent. However, since johndoe@me.com is already in use, I was thinking johndoe@icloud.com would be up for grabs. It lets me get all the way to the last prompt where it attempts to register the account and it gives me that error.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

You can't register @icloud.com accounts yet. Only @me.com currently.

7. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Read that again and see if it makes any sense.

8. Rofflesaurrr thread starter macrumors newbie

It makes sense to me. However, I did two transmission jobs today and I may be a little tired and crazy.

9. Soundflunky macrumors regular

You already own the address you're trying to register.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

If you took my advice and signed into the iCloud beta website, then Mail preferences you would already see you have the iCloud email address, but since you either tried and succeeded but can't be arsed replying, or you are just being a pain in the ass.......if it's the latter option......someone shut this dumb thread down!

11. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

If the @me.com was already taken so is the @I cloud.com. they are the same.

12. Rofflesaurrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. That's exactly what I was wondering. You and Comeagain? answered my question. To everyone else yelling at me for not logging into beta.icloud and my @me.com account. I do not own it! The @me.com user name I wanted was already taken, and I was thinking it might be available under @icloud.com.

For example. If johndoe@msn.com was taken already, when Windows Live was released, I was able to register johndoe@live.com, as they were not linked. I have a common name. I didn't think the question was that difficult.

Why do people have to be so rude? I simply posted on here to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer for after searching. Geez!

13. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Let me show ou why your post didn't make sense.

"
    Originally Posted by Rofflesaurrr

I understand if I have johndoe@me.com, I already will own the @icloud.com equivalent. However, since johndoe@me.com is already in use, I was thinking johndoe@icloud.com would be up for grabs. It lets me get all the way to the last prompt where it attempts to register the account and it gives me that error."

Why would you think it was up for grabs when you said you knew if you had the .me equivilant you would own the .icloud address. If your name is not available as a .me than it would not be available as.icloud since that person who owns the .me owns the .icloud.

14. Rofflesaurrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh. Sorry. I read the article on here about the new @icloud addresses. The way I interpreted it was... if the person had a @me address they would automatically be granted the @icloud version when first logging into iOS 6. So if said person did not have access to the beta, or the name was no longer in use, the @icloud version would be up for grabs. Thats what I was unsure of.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Really????????

[​IMG]

16. Rofflesaurrr, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

Rofflesaurrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. Haha.

What I was trying to say.. was I thought that it only applied to people with access to the beta, but not everyone. I worded it poorly. That's all.

Sometimes I'm really terrible at trying to explain what's on my mind. My iPad is first Apple product, and soon a MacBook Pro. I'm not too familiar with how these betas and apple accounts work yet. I regret joining this community if everyone on here is trying to make their e-peen bigger by throwing other people under the bus.

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm sorry. You're very welcome here. Not trying to throw you under the bus either. Peace. :)

18. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I answered your question in as nice a way I could. I didn't throw anybody under the bus.

19. brainticket macrumors newbie

Apologies for resurrecting a 3 week old thread but I am interested in this too.

Because the .me address could have been an alias.

I think the original poster still has a valid point. It really requires someone to test this out to get a definitive answer.

For example, make a .me alias like blahblahrandomletters@me.com on an existing account. Then start a new account and on ios6 try to create blahblahrandonletters@icloud.com primary email address. I would think that should be possible unless all alias addresses are inherited too.

20. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

It's not possible. They are all at me right now. The iCloud emails are @me.com.

21. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

All my alias from back when it was .mac have all been automatically converted to .me and now .icloud. There is no valid point, once the address is gone its gone regardless of if its an alias or not.

22. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

When I try to turn on iCloud notes, it asks me to create a new ID. It says mine is already taken and I know that no one else has this username.

Wasn't everyone's supposed to be converted automatically? If so it gives me no option to enter an existing iCloud email address in and I am not able to turn notes on in the cloud.

23. wharzhee macrumors 6502

Sounds like u registered that email address on another account, when you asked if it is supposed to be converted automatically but was already taken.

You can turn it on (if you remember the account you registered that wanted alias), by adding it separately in the "Mails, Contacts, and Calendars" option