iCloud compatible with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevearm, Oct 12, 2011.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

There were suggestions that Apple was going to release a 10.6.9 update for Snow Leopard that would bring iCloud functionality to the OS. I was just wondering if this was confirmed?

2. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the rumor, maybe when 10.7.2 is released, they'll also release 10.6.9

4. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

5. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

Developers haven't seen any 10.6 iCloud betas, only 10.7

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the only fly in the ointment with the rumor.

The 10.7.2 update is huge (at least the combo is) and its fixing a bunch of other stuff. Maybe (I'm reaching here) that 10.6.9 is an icloud only update that they didn't feel they needed to release to the developers.

tbh, I was surprised by the rumor because apple usually does not add features to older systems - its a way to move people on to their current OS. My point is if we don't see 10.6.9 its consistent with apple's prior behavior

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Sad... there's so many things about Lion that I don't like. Guess I will have to miss out on this unless the Lion revisions end up getting better or they make a separate iCloud app for SL users.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

iCloud is compatible with a 28 month-old Windows operating system!

9. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I have SL on my Mac Mini (2007,1GB Ram)
    If they do not provide a SL iCloud solution, I have a few choices choices:
    Export my calendars and contact from Google onto a USB Stick. Go to an apple store and pester an apple-kid to set up my icloud account on one of their lion machines. Import contacts and calendars into my icloud account. This does not solve my issue at home, but I can always use web based functions.
    Upgrade Ram, then OS, then sort out icloud
    Buy a new Mac that covers lion, then sort out icloud
    Just leave all my email contacts and calendars on Google, as it just works across all platforms, all devices, all OSes.

10. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

And a 58 month old one too, Windows Vista.

11. Zero!sOne macrumors member

Has anyone with MobileMe and SL made the transition to iCloud yet? I'm stuck on SL for at least another month, but would like to reap the benefits of iCloud on my iPhone now if it's worth it.

I realize I would lose Mail, iCal, and iDisk support being baked into the OS on my Mac, but I wouldn't mind using the web apps for those services until I can upgrade to Lion.

Are there any other disadvantages to transitioning now, rather than waiting for Lion, that I'm missing? Everyone seems to either be upgrading or holding off on iCloud, and I have yet to read of anyone just using the web apps and keeping SL.

Also, I know upgrading MobileMe users will have access to iDisk through June of next year; would that functionality still be available via SL Finder, or is there a temporary iCloud web app for it, or would I just login to me.com for access to that web app until the cut off date?

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Well, Vista SP2, actually. 28 months. :(

13. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I conducted my little test of importing into icloud from google at the apple store, and it worked a treat.

I've not done my transition on my mm account to icloud - I'll probbly try over the weekend.

Im like you Zero!sOne, I don't want to miss out.

R.

14. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I also don't really want to upgrade to Lion, but want iOS 5 and would like to know what will and won't work before I do the iOS 5 upgrade.
    Will wireless syncing work?
    If not, can I still connect my iPhone to my Macbook and sync over a USB?
    Hope someone can provide some insight on how it works. Thx!

15. Zero!sOne macrumors member

Wireless syncing will work as long as you have iTunes 10.5 and OS X 10.6.8 or higher.

Apple warns that everything else may suffer from glitches (double emails/calendar events, constant email notifications, etc.), but those are all accessible through iCloud.com.

I just went ahead and transitioned my MM account to iCloud yesterday, and have just been using the web apps for email, calendar, and contacts. Everything seems to be working properly so far, and though using the web apps isn't as nice as having everything work with Apple's included programs, they're certainly nice enough to hold me over until I can upgrade to Lion.

16. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I did option 2. I popped the covers off 3 of our Mac minis. I put in 2 GB of RAM, which cost around $25 at Microcenter or Crucial. BTW you only need 1 putty knife, see the video at ifixit. While I had the case open, I popped in a small modest cost SSD that I had previously cloned Snow Leopard using an SATA to usb cable and CCC. I put the case back together (once I knew it was booting just fine) and ran "install osx lion.app". Done. All our Macs (except the oldest G4) now run Lion.

I have NOT ported my mobileme account yet. Maybe this weekend...

17. bullet99 macrumors newbie

Avoid iCloud on mobile devices if you don't convert to Lion.

If you turn on iCloud from IOS5 on your iPhone and don't have Lion, you lose the link for yout info between your Mac and your iPhone. Stangely, Apple may NOT be penalizing PC users the same way. "Upgrading" to Lion represents a trade-off between the new iCloud and being able to use a large number of your current apps. Apple is unlikely to give Snow Lepoard access to iCloud as it will kill Lion since you can have both your old apps AND iCloud if you don't "upgrade." If Apple continues to require Lion to access iCloud, they could kill iCloud by limiting its access. Interesting dilemma; let's see who blinks first. Not me.

Meantime, if you have multiple IOS5 devices, you can always sync to both your computer and iCloud from iTunes on Snow Lepoard. So you can get all the functionality, just not automatically. Bet Apple blinks first.