iCloud Computer Association

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John55455, Apr 11, 2012.

1. John55455 macrumors member

I currently use iCloud on my MacBook Pro and back it up to Time Capsule using Time Machine. In iTunes it shows that my MacBook Pro is associated to iCloud along with my iPhone and iPad.

In a few days I'm switching to an iMac and giving away my MacBook Pro. So what happens with the iCloud Association when I "restore" my new iMac from my MacBook Pro backup using Time Capsule/Time Machine. If I erase my MacBook Pro (which I have no idea how to do) will the iCloud associate itself with the new iMac because I used the Macbook Pro time machine backup.

I hope someone actually understands what I am saying because I'm not really making any sense.

Thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You'll want to do a couple things.

First, before you wipe the MBP drive, deauthorize it from iTunes and turn off iTunes Match (if you have it). This will free up the spot in the list.

Then when you restore the iMac, you'll go into iTunes and reauthorize the iMac.

The Time Machine restore doesn't really address these two parts, because iTunes authorizations are based on the individual computer's hardware address.