iCloud confusion

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lord Rollo IV, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Lord Rollo IV macrumors newbie

1.) What's the difference between iCloud and iCloud drive?

2.) If I buy 200gb of iCloud Drive space and I only have a 64GB device... how does this work? Does Apple cloud services always "mirror" the device? If I upload 200GB of files onto iCloud Drive from my mac how do I access them on my device?

Thanks for the enlightenment!

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

iCloud is a marketing term that covers Apple's storage of your information on their servers. Until recently, you only had access to that data through iCloud-aware apps. With iCloud Drive, you can store any of your files in a hierarchical filing system that you devise, like having a disk drive connected to your computer, except that it's physically located on some Apple server(s) somewhere.

iCloud isn't a mirror of your device (although an iCloud backup of an iOS device comes close). You could upload 200GB of files from your Mac to iCloud Drive, delete them from the Mac, then access them via a browser on a Windows PC.

Apple's plans for photos in iCloud include storing hi-res RAW images in iCloud, which can consume a lot of space, then downloading device-optimised versions to your devices, which are a lot less memory-hungry.

3. Lord Rollo IV thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess my questioning isn't clear enough.

My experience so far with iCloud is that it "mirrors" all of my files currently on my devices. For every Numbers, Pages and Keynote file I have on my iPad, there's an exact duplicate of each of those files in "iCloud"

So what happens when my iPad fills up with iWork files? Is iCloud Drive the answer? Does it do more than just plain old iCloud in this regard? If not, what's the point of buying storage space that exceeds the capacity of my iDevice... just so I can use iCloud Drive on a mac/PC?

4. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

See the files of iWork are stored on your iPad.. With documents in the cloud (your original icloud) , they will store thaws files on icloud, and u can access it on any Device that has iWork and iCloud.. But only the app can access it, and it doesn't take your storage space

.. So your "mirror" file is actually your only file.. If u delete it from ur iPad.. It will get deleted from iCloud

With iCloud drive any app, that can access iCloud drive can allow you to acces an iWork file..
    So for eg. IF u make a keynote using keynote, it will store it on iCloud drive if u have chosen it.. Then suppose you use MS office PowerPoint, and if they have a feature that says that u can use files that are created from the apple iWork apps, then u can access that keynote file and use it on MS office...

So basically iCloud drive is accessible from any app that has the feature to use the iCloud drive files, or from any Windows's PC that has iCloud drive .. Or any browser using iCloud.com..

5. Lord Rollo IV thread starter macrumors newbie

No. By "mirror" I mean there are 2 copies of the same file. One in iCloud and another on the device. But more importantly, nobody has can seem to answer my storage space question so I'll ask again:

If I have 200gb of say... Pages and Numbers files on iCloud Drive... how does a 64gb iPad use these files and keep them in synch? Again, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that everything stored on iCloud "Drive" works just like plain "iCloud" meaning, all the files are mirrored to my iPad. (Which is impossible since my iPad doesn't have enough the memory).

I guess I'm just too used to OneDrive and DropBox. These keep very few files local whereas iCloud keeps all files in both places.

6. Apple blogger, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Ok so u have 2 copies # try deleting the one on your iPad.. Or first try to make a new sample file and see if it mirrors, and if it does, then delete the one on your iPad and then see if it deletes from iCloud also..It should not have any effect with the one in icloud then..

Yes iCloud Drive is like icloud.. Take it more like dropbox.. Your 64 GB ipad doesn't store any file in it's own storage(I guess not sure as I haven't still used iCloud drive any way), but I guess directly to the 200gb cloud.. So it's accessivbe from anywhere, pretty same as dropbox...
    I guess I have answered the "use" part in my previous answer only..

And in the first answer by another guy also says that, u can upload it to iCloud drive and dekete it from your Mac(it will be same in case of ipad also)..so it's like dropbox only

7. Steve28 macrumors member

iCloud confusion

Simple. Not all of your 200gb of files would exist on your iPad at the same time. You can see them all, but as you use pages/numbers/etc, the ipad will download what it needs and dump stuff it doesn't. It will be transparent to you unless you are somewhere out of network access. Then, you will be stuck only being able to access what has been cached locally until you're back on the network