iCloud Contacts and GMail Contacts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gw0gvq, Oct 30, 2016.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

Is there a way that I can sync both sets of contacts together. Also for my Personal use I am using Thunderbird as an email client is there anyeway I can share my iCloud contacts on my mac with Thunderbird on my mac.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There isn't a good, free way that I know of. Why do you choose to use iCloud contacts?

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Because I have had a lot of problems with iCloud account in the last two years . I haven't been able to sign in to icloud and the engineers have been 'long winded';-) in getting things sorted. I been using GMail since its existance as an email provider and I wanted to sync both icloud and google together in case more starts happening. To be honest I been a customer of Apple for years but over the last few years I think they been deteriating in a lot of things, its making me wonder if from now on in the future to go googles way instead.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If your email is Gmail and you're using Thunderbird you should stick with Google contacts. They'll sync perfectly with every relevant device you have listed in your post.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

OP, an option to consider? Use GMail's Contacts portal "Import" function (Under "More") to import your iCloud account's Contacts - Google lists over 200 email providers, including iCloud.

Or, export your iCloud contacts from the Apple Contacts app (to a logical place such as the Desktop) and then use the Import function to import the Contacts-generated vCard file(s).

I don't use Gmail for much anymore, but I have learned that synching any other account type with Gmail will likely lead to frustration. As to iCloud, I'm also moving away from it... Cheers!