iCloud Creating Duplicates.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobbyz110, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bobbyz110 macrumors newbie

So if you buy an itunes song on your imac, then convert it to mp3, then go on your iphone and download the song from the cloud, and then sync your phone to your computer... it copies the new aac version to the computer, and leaves the mp3 there as well... thus you now have duplicates.

I have over 100,000 songs... 620GB. I don't want it creating duplicates... my entire library is not the original aac... it's mp3.

Any one have thoughts on this...?

2. celticpride678

3. bobbyz110 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. celticpride678

No, it's actually not.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Have you even confirmed that it does what you described yet? I was under the impression it was song based and not file format.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Make a playlist that's filetype specific?
    or not use mp3 conversion, and let itunes do that during sync?

7. bobbyz110 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also... to delete the downloaded song from the cloud on your iphone.. when you sync your phone, you can do it if you manually manage your music. If you sync playlists though... you can't get to it. You have to switch to manually manage... and then resync the playlists again.

Although... for some reason... every once and a while it will show up under manually added songs... 50% of the time.

8. bobbyz110 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i have done it quite a few times. I download on my phone, then sync, and boom, two songs in the library. does it every time.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Ohhh nevermind....

I'm thinking about iTunes Match. Yeah what you described should happen. Some people have multiple versions to put on different devices. I guess there should be some kind of option to let you change this.

Ohhh and why not just leave the files as aac if you are using them on your iPhone?

10. bobbyz110 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like mp3 better than AAC. Sound quality is not as good. That is debatable... but it's what I think. When itunes match comes.. it will match... but then again... everything will be sync'ed back up in aac.. and create duplicates. So I hope they figure this out and fix it.

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well do you have the import set to mp3 in iTunes? Maybe having that set to mp3 will allow the backup/sync will be in the mp3 format.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you buy a tune in AAC and then convert it to MP3 it's going to be degraded: you're going from one lossy format to another

13. bobbyz110 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, it's set to mp3. I'll just wait till this fall.. and hopefully it will work then...

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Did you report the bug to apple? Like you're supposed to if you're a dev using a beta?

15. shandyman Suspended

actually the beta for icloud is open to all and infact, anyone running iOS 4.3 is kinda using it.........