iCloud - Dearer Version of Memory Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mumty, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

This is so annoying. With the release of the iphone 5, I thought the ability to put memory cards in our phone might happen, but no, Apple have released their own version, in the shape of iCloud.

I usually buy the 32gb model (iPhone 4) but that still wasnt enough, so I was hoping to be able to put a Memory card (like a 20gb) in for my extra space. That would have cost €50 minimum.

But Im sure they wont do this, now iCloud has been introduced! :rolleyes: and I have to pay triple the price for the same space!!!!

Is anyone else pissed off about this? Or am I getting the whole iCloud wrong? Is there something that sets it away from the rest? :p

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's for backing up contacts, save games, mail, settings, etc not streaming content or extending storage for content that isn't synced to your device.

5GB free is a deal.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

When you lose your phone, you also lose the memory card inside it...

Cloud storage might go down from time to time, but when it comes back the data is nearly always there.

When Microsoft/Danger lost Sidekick customer data, with time they were able to get it back.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Seriously, stop holding out hope for Apple to add expandable memory. It'll never happen and it will just continue to piss you off each time a new phone is released without it.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly, there's not even SD card readers in their computers. The ironic thing is that the cloud doesn't actually add any real benefit, and is severely cripple from the get go with the drop of unlimited data plans.

6. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

It's a way to tie the apple's phone and ipod users to APPLE for life...

just like how buying apps on the iphone...you can't just stand up and leave for the Android Camp now that hundreds of dollars have been spent on the iphone/ipad...

not necessarily a bad thing if you, like I, enjoy the iphone/ipad....but this is definitely the greatest customer loyalty program ever employed!

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure how this is even remotely accurate...Can you elaborate? Your second point makes more sense, but is not any more exclusive to Apple than selling MP3s. This is true for any gaming system you buy, Sony practically wrote the book on proprietary accessories, and MS? They're in a league all of their own.

8. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

ok maybe for life is too exaggerated...

but by involving the user to establish an icloud content that serves him/her everything from music and videos to other daily media-usage, over time, one will find it difficult to move away from Apple and it's product due to their increasing dependence on these devices and services...

Sony playstation is one such example, even more so now with the PS network than before...but games are not as 'dramatic?' as your everyday involvement such as email, music, photos, facebook etc...

I think the icloud is another genius move to hold on to the customers already with Apple, and actively luring in other who are already one foot in the door...

and all your points are true and accurate! I am just saying this move is pretty genious! t\

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

You actually do get A LOT of space for iCloud. Think about it, they give you 5GB of space, but music, apps, photos, etc. don't count toward that limit. So you're actually getting A LOT of space, even though it sounds like you're only getting 5GB of space.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Uhh, yes there are.

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

People who want expandable memory don't get how the iPhone works. What kind of files would you expect to find on the memory card when you put in a card reader? What kind of file format? How do you think the iPhone would handle a folder structure in the iPod app? It's impossible.

12. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

What would you necessarily need the memory card for?
    5GB for free isn't a bad deal.

Apple won't add expandable memory to the iPhone anytime soon.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

There actually is. I'm looking at the one on my MBP right now.

EDIT: Looks like someone already beat me to it.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

5GB is nothing

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's a lot if essentially all you are storing is documents. iTunes purchases will not count towards the limit. Nor will the up to one thousand photos that can be stored via Photo Stream.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's still nothing. I don't buy my music from iTunes and I can take over 1000 pics in a day or 2 if I'm on a trip.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure what you mean by nothing because 5 GB holds 1000 songs (41 hours) or 2000 photos or a number of full length movies (and as already mentioned many items don't count towards that limit). Not bad for free.

If you want more you can get 20 more GB from Apple (25 GB total) for $40 compared to a 32 GB micro SD card from NewEgg at $50 and up. That's not bad considering iCloud is backed up and available on all your iDevices/iTunes. Even more so if you lose the SD card or have it inadvertently encrypted or formatted.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Arrrg. I got pulled away while writing my first response and didn't know about this one until after I hit Submit.

Anyway, as someone pointed out photos don't count towards the 5 GB so snap away and enjoy!

Wow. I just did the math. Assuming an 18 hour day (who needs more than six hours of sleep on a trip), 2000 pics is about one every 30 seconds. Or 112 pics an hour. I take a lot of photos and there is probably an hour or two where I can total 112 or more, but for 18 hours straight... Yikes! :)

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I tend to set my camera to rapid fire mode taking more than one shot at a time. I just got back from a trip to Asia where I took almost 100GB of pics in 5 days (one leg of my trip...but the most important one). I took 4 32GB SDHC cards....plus a few random/smaller sized ones. Given, this is on a DSLR so nothing to do with iCloud...but my point is 5GB is nothing compared to the space I use with my photos and MP3s.

5GB wouldn't even begin to store my MP3 collection either. So yeah....5GB is nothing.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well from what I understand iTunes for Mac/Windows will automatically retrieve photos from Photo Stream. So by leaving your computer on, you could effectively give your iPhone a whole hard drive for photo storage. (Now if only the iPhone officially supported the camera connection kit.)