Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyMacG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
I'm having a major issue.

After I updated to 12.5.1 on my MacBook, I saw a popup asking if I would like to sync my iCloud files with my computer. I said yes.

Then my sister's college folders popped up onto my homescreen, and I thought that if I deleted them, it would just delete off of my hard drive, not iCloud.

The folders were deleted off of iCloud.

Is there any way I can fix this. On iCloud.com, I have tried two methods of restoring files in 30 days or less, and neither method worked.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm having a major issue.

After I updated to 12.5.1 on my MacBook, I saw a popup asking if I would like to sync my iCloud files with my computer. I said yes.

Then my sister's college folders popped up onto my homescreen, and I thought that if I deleted them, it would just delete off of my hard drive, not iCloud.

The folders were deleted off of iCloud.

Is there any way I can fix this. On iCloud.com, I have tried two methods of restoring files in 30 days or less, and neither method worked.
Sounds like you enabled Desktop & Documents for iCloud. You're saying your sister's folders don't appear in iCloud.com > iCloud Drive > Recently Deleted or Restore Files? And no backups either? They may be gone for good unfortunately.

Going forward you may want to disable Desktop & Documents, and routinely backup any content that's only stored in iCloud to say an external drive or other cloud-based storage.

If you do disable D&D, please read what happens and what you need to do in this support article so you won't lose anything else:

Last edited:

RyMacG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
So it turns out that the issue just solved itself. Her files popped up on Recently Deleted after some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.