iCloud Document Sync?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Mac In School, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

For the life of me I can't figure out how to work this. I have 30-40 iWork documents on my Mac, and they aren't available on my iOS devices. Everything is properly configured everywhere. Do I have to store them in a specific location on the Mac for this to work? I've tried Documents, despite most of my stuff being in my Dropbox folder.

Hope this isn't the wrong forum. There are a number of forums it could have gone to, including this one, I think.

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

You will need to manually upload them to the www.icloud.com/iWork website. Further more, you will need to download them to your Mac every time you want to modify them. iCloud syncing is ONLY between iOS devices.

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh... Okay... Not what I expected. That's kinda goofy.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it works the way I thought it did.

But, wait... Why is there a document sync option in the preference panel if it doesn't do anything?

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

In which program?

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In the iCloud system preference pane on Mac OS.

I can only presume it'll be added to iWork for Mac and third party apps as time goes on.

6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

OS X (Lion)

Attached Files:

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I forgot about that, because I turned it on when I was trying to get things working. I think it was off by default.

Hopefully more companies will incorporate this feature/function into their programs.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

The iWork programs on iOS are not fully featured. That is important because a bunch of things are stripped away when the file is uploaded to the iOS device (like comments in Pages files for example). If Apple enabled auto-sync with the desktop version of iWork, then all those added features would get erased from your desktop copy of the file.

So Apple needs to do two things, add all features of iWork (desktop) to iWork (iOS), and second add iCloud compatibility into iWork (desktop). Until then we are out of luck and need to manually upload our files, stripping some content from the file while doing so.

At least that is my best guess.