Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I upgraded to iCloud drive on my iPhone yesterday on iOS 8 beta 3. I also updated my iMac OS to Yosemite 10.10 beta 3. After, doing all that I open numbers or pages and all my documents are gone. I have even checked under the iCloud folder in finder and there is nothing in it. Are my documents gone for good or is there a way to get them back? Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Same thing for me too. Simply use TM to retrieve them from the Library/Mobile Documents folder. I had to go back to 5:30PM yesterday.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple sent out an email to the developers that they were going to wipe the icloud data on July 7th which was yesterday.

We will be performing a server-side data wipe on all CloudKit public and private databases for iOS 8 beta and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview users on July 7, 2014. The following iCloud features will be affected: iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Apple sent out an email to the developers that they were going to wipe the icloud data on July 7th which was yesterday.

Just to be safe I made a new Folder in Documents and restored them there. Not sure if it would be safe or wise to restore to the original location seeing as Apple wiped it.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I upgraded to iCloud drive on my iPhone yesterday on iOS 8 beta 3. I also updated my iMac OS to Yosemite 10.10 beta 3. After, doing all that I open numbers or pages and all my documents are gone. I have even checked under the iCloud folder in finder and there is nothing in it. Are my documents gone for good or is there a way to get them back? Thanks.

wRXVuWe.jpg

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011

I know that, but after reading it I assume they would just be copied to cloud drive from my understanding. See the bold print.

We will be performing a server-side data wipe on all CloudKit public and private databases for iOS 8 beta and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview users on July 7, 2014. The following iCloud features will be affected: iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

Photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library will remain on their original iOS 8 devices and will upload to iCloud Photo Library again automatically. iCloud Drive can be re-enabled from Set up Assistant after upgrade. If you choose to store your documents in iCloud Drive, your Documents & Data will automatically be copied to iCloud Drive. iCloud Drive will not update across earlier seeds or operating systems. Attachments sent through Mail Drop will expire and need to be resent after you upgrade.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know that, but after reading it I assume they would just be copied to cloud drive from my understanding. See the bold print.

Well either way, they wiped it. Hopefully it wasn't anything you needed.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I know that, but after reading it I assume they would just be copied to cloud drive from my understanding.....

As I said the files ARE on your HD's backup. All iCloud/iWork files are stored locally on your HD in the Library/Mobile Documents folder and not just in the cloud. Do you use Time Machine? If so just retrieve them. If using other backup then use whatever file retrieve method they have.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008

And of course all you people are official beta testers getting update emails from apple :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And of course all you people are official beta testers getting update emails from apple :)

I'm not running the beta, so I'm not bound by the NDA. If I were, I'd not be publishing the email. I've stated in a number of threads, that I do not want to run 10.10 because its too unstable and I need my MBP for work, so I cannot afford to deal with stability issues.

Whether I'm part of the developer program or not is immaterial and personally I'd rather not discuss that portion of my involvement.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
As I said the files ARE on your HD's backup. All iCloud/iWork files are stored locally on your HD in the Library/Mobile Documents folder and not just in the cloud. Do you use Time Machine? If so just retrieve them. If using other backup then use whatever file retrieve method they have.

I am in my time machine backup and I don't see a folder called Mobile Documents under Library. Any ideas?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I am in my time machine backup and I don't see a folder called Mobile Documents under Library. Any ideas?

For me I had it at 5:19PM yesterday but was gone at 6:38PM. Just keep scrolling through each backup until you see it. It will be sometime yesterday. If you remember the last time you modified a document you can pick a time right after that be assured of having up to date version.

I just keep scrolling through TM and got it the LAST time it was there (5:19PM). First, I made a Folder in Documents called iCloud. Then in TM I right clicked on the Mobile Documents Folder and right clicked: then Restored to... and picked Documents/iCloud.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Are you saying that files you saw in iCloud before you upgraded are missing, or files in iCloud you saw on Yosemite before are now gone?

The new iCloud Drive is currently separate from the old iCloud document storage. Those files will be migrated at release. So, for instance, if you had a Mac on Mavericks, it would see files that you would NOT see on Yosemite.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The same happened to me as soon as I installed DP1.

Luckily, everything iWork-related was still on iCloud.com

blakek

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
mine's no where to be found

no device, my mac's done have them, and iCloud.com won't work

awesome awesome awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.