iCloud Documents Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bushido, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

i know people claim it is so much easier how Apple handles it but i dont get it at all on iOS 8 and id like for a definite answer.

lets say for example someone sends me an PDF via E-Mail and I click on it. The window with every app that can open it appears. now what happens if i edit it with iBooks for example and save it. does it change the original file that was stored in my email and copied to the Cloud or does every app have its own copy of said file? what if i want to get rid of it within ibooks but want to keep it in iAnnotate for example. if i click delete ... will it be deleted in every app i have? what if i edit the pdf with iAnnotate, will those changes appear on ibooks too? this is going to be a mess with multiple copies of the same file not knowing which one i can actually delete without influencing the original or other files

this whole thing is so confusing

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Things downloaded from emails are different. The email has the download saved there, always there to access unless you delete the message. Opening it in an app will just copy the file over to the app as it always has. As far as I know, the mail client doesn't allow you to save the file to iCloud drive. If they did that, then the file could be used in multiple apps.

3. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

so every app gets its own copy of a file? thats stupid ... time to get a 512GB iPad at this rate ^^

4. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

There will be no duplicate copies .. If you are using app which has been recoded to use iCloud Drive it will help with modification of files "in place" using the drive.

So for example if I create a folder inside iCloud Drive called Office and add some pages files in there , then when I try to open this file using Pages and save back, it will save to this folder only and not create its own copy within its folder

At least that's the intended behavior of ICloud Drive ... Guess we have to wait for the new apps and iOS 8 release to see what happens

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Only if Apple doesn't use the iCloud drive system for mail... I don't know if they've done that since I can't test it without iCloud drive apps.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Let me see if I can help. Bob sends me a Word document via email. I select to open it in Pages and add and edit some text. Save and exit. I then launch Good Notes, open that Word/Pages document, and make annotations and add a signature. I then launch Good Reader for some more advance annotations. I then send that file back to Bob. All that there are only 2 versions of the file, the original from the email from Bob and the final one after using Good Reader, which exists in the Pages folder in iCloud. It exists in Pages because that's where it was created/downloaded to.

As for deleting the apps, won't make a difference as the files exist on iCloud. The apps may have been deleted from your devices long ago, but the iCloud files still exist until you go and manually delete them.

That's how it works now. Same situation as above, download the Word file, export to Good Notes, then export that to Good Reader. So there is a new file generated with every export.

So in iOS 7, it's exporting and making new files. In iOS 8, it's opening existing files.

7. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

So if I am reading this correctly, you can't save email attachments direct to iCound Drive? Unless they add the feature of course before release.

It would be great if Apple released an iCloud Drive app along with iOS 8 then you could view the attachment in mail and choose "open in" and select the iCloud Drive App.

Would also like the ability to share the links to files stored in iCloud Drive like you can with Dropbox but I am guessing this won't happen.

I'm guessing technically it would be possible for 3rd Party Devs to create an standalone app as files can be opened by other apps in iOS 8 but not sure if Apple would allow such an app in the App Store.

I am probably talking total nonsense as usual :p