iCloud doesn't stream music to your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSMBP, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FSMBP, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I've seen a lot of posts like "Why even bother with 64GB iPhones? I can get a 16GB and use iCould to stream my music".

FYI, iCloud doesn't stream any music or media to your iPhone. It completely & fully downloads the content to your iPhone. If anything, you'll need more storage on your iPhone since you'll have better access to all your media.

Just thought I'd post this to spread some awareness!

Attached Files:

2. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Er, Apple never said that it WOULD stream music to your iPhone... FFS :rolleyes:

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Uhh...?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210531

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210505&highlight=icloud+streaming

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1203738&highlight=icloud+streaming

Word spread.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

We know this. Also in iOS5 you can delete songs directly from the iPhone/iPod so you could choose what songs you want to listen to, download them and than delete them when you no longer need them and then redownload when you want them again. It will use less data than streaming as you can download once and play it as many times as you want and just delete for more space.

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Wow, just like you can do now by syncing to iTunes on your computer...amazing. Yeah yeah, I know...

6. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Trust me, I've seen 4 posts today that have people believing they will. And I know people they also believe this for some reason. Sorry for wanting to inform the misinformed!

7. ah123 macrumors regular

Then it's not really the same is it - one you can do directly on the device while out and about, the other you can do while tethered to your PC.

It's really amazing when you actually think before you post.

8. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Maybe you need educating as to what the "Yeah yeah, I know..." bit means at the end of my post? :rolleyes: Sorry if you are unable to extrapolate things logically based on what information is presented to you.

9. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

The process will look the same as streaming but will use less data (1 download instead of multiple).

To the average consumer, who will get billed for less data as a result, this is better.

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

How will waiting 2 minutes for a song to start playing look the same as a stream that begins instantly?

11. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

12. GarytheiPhonema macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

I'll probably just stick with Spotify anyway, love the quick access to new songs.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

To OP I agree a lot of people are unaware.

However, even though you can't actually stream the music. You can add and remove directly on the iPhone. So even a 16GB phone can work.

14. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

Because you press play and then, eventually, the song plays. Same.

Apple summarises iCloud as, "This is the cloud the way it should be: automatic and effortless. iCloud is seamlessly integrated into your apps, so you can access your content on all your devices. And it’s free with iOS 5."

Apple summarises the music feature as, "iTunes in the Cloud. Your music on all your devices."

No where is the word 'stream' used (except in Photo Stream). You've made a massive assumption and are now complaining about what you assumed.

15. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Hope that wasn't directed at me because I haven't assumed anything.
    I've known all about iTunes in the Cloud.
    I was simply questioning why you think that the masses won't be able to tell the difference between streaming and downloading.
    You're the one that said that the processes will look the same.

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

iCloud is a disappointment because there is no access from my web browser. I'd love to be able to stream my music collection from my job's web browser without having to install iTunes. Since that feature is lacking, I'll be sticking with Google music.

17. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Stick with whatever you like, makes no odds to anybody else on here.

18. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

To be fair, it was mostly directed at some other posters in this thread.

"Because you press play and then, eventually, the song plays."

The time that it takes to play the song depends upon your connection. The process to make it play a song is the same from a user perspective. The masses mostly don't care about streaming vs. download.

If it was streaming on a poor connection, you'd get 5 seconds of song, then it'd pause and have to wait for it to load more. With a download, it'll take longer but it downloads once and doesn't pause 5 seconds in. Apple isn't the kind of company that wants a frustrated user hitting play every 2 seconds because their connection isn't good enough.