iCloud Drive - Apple's Vista

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Pagemakers, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Pagemakers, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

iCloud Drive really is Apple's Vista.

It is a terribly thought out product and it is so riddled with bugs it's almost unusable.

Before I start I'm not a troll. My home and business is full off Apple products.

I wanted iCloud Drive to replace my reliance of DropBox. I genuinely thought that iCloud Drive would be better integrated into iOS 8 (another Vista).

I am using iCloud Drive with a Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Air and iPhone. All the latest models running the latest software.

For starters, I've uninstalled Pages, Numbers and Keynote from every device I own yet they remain in the iOS iCloud Drive document picker. There is NO way to remove the dammed folders. I will never use them, nor will I use the iMovie, Automator folders etc but I can't remove them. They just sit there taking up space.

I have deleted ALL documents in the Pages folder using all of my devices and 10 minutes after I delete them, 1 or 2 documents re-appear on 1 or more of my devices. If I delete them half a dozen times they tend to delete.

Documents can't be edited, renamed or deleted in the iCloud Drive document picker so the idea or iOS being used without a computer is impossible because a computer is needed to manipulate the files.

The document picker is fundamentally broken. No matter which app I use that supports iCloud Drive, half the files display as blank icons and cannot be opened by an app that indeed supports the file type.

Why oh why Apple didn't make iCloud Drive work like DropBox but with better iOS integration is beyond me.

iCloud Drive could have been wonderful but at the moment it's a pathetic reason to exist.

2. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

100% agree.

I miss some kind of Finder for browsing files on ios.
    Also there is no offline sync for ios but all data has to be downloaded to your Mac. Why?

Photo management is just pain though...

3. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Yeah it's not a well thought out product. But I'm not going to judge them yet given the iCloud Photo doesn't even exist yet on the Mac (ridiculous I know).

Right now I think it's Microsoft who has this all thought out the best. But integration with iOS 8 will make users having to "endure" using iCloud Drive.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

At least it isn't as bad as iDisk. Not far from it, but not quite as bad.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I've had terrible experience trying to convert to iCloud Drive on Yosemite iMacs. When I enable it, iTunes will not access the AppStore (very odd) and my iWork apps (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) will not launch - the beta versions in iCloud still launch however.

Strange ??

6. zone23 macrumors 68000

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Just turn it off. The secret to happiness is simple. :)

Just because Apple pushes this crap on users, doesn't mean you absolutely have to use it.

8. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

And its still a beta product.

iCloud Drive is not a Dropbox replacement. Once I realized there was no app for iOS to manage the storage its back to using other storage options.

9. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

You're all comparing it to Dropbox, which is fine, but after all, it's a different thing.

obviously, no central app for it on iOS is a very different approach

just use Dropbox like me

i think its just an expansion of iCloud, thats all

Then again, I don't know what they are thinking.

They do have a tendency to trump their wares.....greatly

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It was never billed as a Dropbox replacement. It's an entirely different product. I think the issue is that people think it's something it isn't.

FYI, Vista was not buggy. It was a lack of driver support that ruined the launch. I used Vista when I had a PC and it was solid. It wasn't perfect, but there is a common misconception about it.

11. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Dropbox replacement or not iCloud Drive is fundamentally broken.