iCloud Drive as a online backup solution?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 11, 2014.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the iCloud Drive works for storing Time Machine backups? It seems like this could be a possible alternative to using backup services like BackBlaze or CrashPlan.

2. impaler macrumors 6502

No it does not. It's designed to store individual files, like Dropbox or Google Drive. It's not meant for an entire system backup. I don't have Yosemite yet, as I'm awaiting the public release - but I doubt you'll be able to point a Time Machine backup to iCloud.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. :)

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I have jumped on the 500gb a month plan and I intend to back up my photos and documents with it. All my other media is on an external drive.

I can go to iCloud beta website and already see some pictures i've already put there.

I'm hoping its seamless. :D

5. superflush macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering about this too for a while.
    The one thing that struck out to me is that CrashPlan and Backblaze will allow you to pull deleted files, whereas I don't think iCloud Drive or iCloud Photo Library would have that ability. I currently pay $5 per month for CrashPlan, and the main thing I need backed up is photos (with important documents being in Dropbox). I could potentially replace CrashPlan with the $4 per month 200GB plan. However, I'm not sure how it would work for restores and how reliable it will be. I intend try it out at least (before I cancel CrashPlan).