iCloud Drive as a replacment for Box

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by necropunk, Sep 19, 2014.

1. necropunk macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm considering using iCloud Drive as my main cloud service. I'm currently using Box for pdf's. I do tons of research and I have about 40GB worth of pfd's and such.
    Seeing the prices for 200GB are within my budget I'm thinking about switching for iCloud, for a number of reasons. Mainly I intend to use it as a streaming cloud for both mp3 and videos. Box does PDF's flawlessly, but the have a limit of 500MB per file (and I'm not even sure if streaming is possible). I'm a free BOX user, and I've been considering an upgrade for a while, but the iCloud Drive seems an interesting option to consider.

Probably I'll also switch to apple as my main email provider, using the Drive space for my me.com address. The only reason I still use gmail is due to the significant space quota that I need, but I intend to cut the google cord sooner than later. This seems an opportunity worth trying.

I'm aware that the api's are yet to be released, but from what I understand it should be pretty straightforward to get apps like plex (AVplayer HD or whatever) to stream content from the drive (emphasis on the streaming, I'm not referring to being able to download).

I'm pretty confident that this will indeed be possible on IOS, but I'm wondering if this can be achieved in other operating systems. Would a player like VLC running on Windows be able to stream content in the same way? Am I correct in assuming that streaming from iCloud Drive in apps like AVpayer Hd will indeed be possible in a very near future?

Thanks

2. impaler macrumors 6502

Adobe now has a system to store PDFs online in an account for free. I have tons and tons of PDFs in there, and its' never warned me about space yet - and I can access them online through the Adobe apps on iOS or Acrobat on Windows/Mac. Eliminates local storage and manual sync.

3. necropunk thread starter macrumors member

The frustration towards iCloud Drive almost makes me consider the opposite option. Ditch Apple so I can have an integrated ecosystem worth its name.