iCloud Drive (as Dropbox replacement) is a disaster

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rodknocker, Nov 16, 2014.

1. rodknocker macrumors 6502

My plan was to move all my files which are stored in Dropbox to iCloud Drive.

I tried 2 apps for accessing through the iPhone:

- Documents by Readdle
    - GoodReader

If i start to test the sync between the iPhone and OS X Yosemite (with copying a few files in the iCloud Drive through the OS X Finder), the sync works very well.

I'm able to edit or delete files on my Mac or on the iPhone and after some seconds, i can see the change on the respective device.

But after i copy my whole Dropbox files (around 4 GB) in the iCloud Drive folder and waited until all files are uploaded, the sync suddenly starts to be confused:

Files doesn't appear on the iPhone or uploading of files (for example a picture taken with the iPhone) ends in a never-ending upload.

I could reproduce this with Documents by Readdle and GoodReader.
    Sometimes both apps crashing when the never-ending upload occurs.

I think that the sync of the iCloud Drive between 2 Macs could works well, but if you an iOS device to accessing files in the iCloud Drive this seems to be very unstable.

2. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library are a mess. Why can't we just have an iCloud Drive app with a Photos folder/section to manage everything we want as we want?

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I agree iCloud Drive is an absolute mess.

During the past month, I've been looking for the best cloud storage solution and really, there are only two cheap *good working* options: Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive.

Dropbox is great, too, but it's either free and you get only a few GB (+bonuses) or you'll have to pay $10/month for 1 TB.

Google and Microsoft offer cheap plans, much like Apple, which offer 100 or 200 GB for just $2 or $3 a month.

4. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I have to agree. I was going to move things over to iCloud Drive but it just doesn't work well at all.

Since I am an Office365 subscriber, OneDrive is not only the best choice for general cloud storage, but in many ways much more than that. With unlimited cloud storage because of the O365 sub, it is also the best 'deal' out there.

5. rodknocker thread starter macrumors 6502

But apps who are using the iCloud Kit are lightning fast and very reliable, like 1Password.

6. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Yes, there are a limited number of things that work well with iCloud. But nothing that needs significant storage. I had the 20Gb plan and found I wasn't even using the 5Gb the free plan gives, so changed back to the free one as it is more than enough for the limited use iCloud Drive brings to the table.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

i havent even bothered to enable it, same with iCloud Photos. their whole cloud approach is way to confusing. there are so many different services under a different name yet neither of them do anything properly

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yup, iCloud works well to keep stuff in synch (like your contacts, notes, etc.). But... if you want to use it for storage of your files, like you would use Dropbox, it's an absolute disaster.

9. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

If you're replacing dropbox with icloud, you're doing it wrong.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I hate the way Dropbox lists files, they're all in a muddle. Date order sucks.

11. rodknocker thread starter macrumors 6502

Because of why? With the Finder integration in OS X Yosemite and storage option for iCloud Drive, Apple WILL that you use iCloud Drive as Dropbox replacement.

(with the lost of Public folder or sharing of files like in Dropbox).

As i said, between Macs, i think iCloud Drive is a really good thing and will work. i would preferred use, because of it's integration in the OS, but the sync problems occurs if you use iOS :(

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

Huh? They are ordered by name as in ABC and whatever folder you decided to put them in

13. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

It lists them the same way as any of your other folders, you choose how you want it sorted and displayed...

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That would be nice.. Just much like Dropbox. I could not find where is iCloud Photo Library anywhere....lead me to confusion. :apple:

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Once you've auto-uploaded a ton of stuff, it's a monster PITA to sort it all.

16. Razeus macrumors 603

It would be great if iCloud drive worked like:

1) like a file viewer for my documents
    2) a specific Music folder so that any music I put there appears in the Music.app for streaming/downloading to my phone.
    3) a specific folder so that any phots appear in the Photos.app

Why does Apple insist on making me use 3-4 apps just for iCloud?

17. LFCYNWA macrumors regular

I use oneDrive it allows you to sort by name/date...etc (I have the microsoft word 365 thing so I get a ton of storage for a year that comes with the subscription), I hope that iCloud Drive gets better organization soon

18. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Dropbox is managed through the existing file browser on all Desktop operating systems, and there are a ton of different Dropbox clients available for mobile operating systems (If you don't like the official one for whatever reason.) I'm not sure how you can complain about the sort order when there are basically unlimited ways to sort your data, and it's the same sort options every other folder on your system has.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I use it on my phone. I upload from my phone and view Dropbox files from my phone. Unless I'm missing some functionality tools, the thing is a mess...

20. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

That's what folders are for

21. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

You can sort by date or name. What other sorting option are you craving?

22. Ardmanz macrumors regular

What I want from icloud...

An app for iOS so I can just upload and sync what I want.

I also want the icloud folder in finder within OSX to show everything synced with icloud (including photos).

23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, alls they need to do is make us an iOS app to access the cloud and we'd be good to go. I hate having to access everything from within other apps. It's stupid, quite frankly. Cmon apple... Get this right, would ya? :rolleyes:

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Very true. Who in their right mind would move all their files in the cloud (which are important enough to be in the cloud) to a first-generation Apple product? That's just laughably dumb.

25. Razeus macrumors 603

Apple just doesn't understand the cloud. This is evident in the various implementations of cloud services, iCloud Photo Library, and iTunes Match.

I'll leave this to the pro's who do nothing else but code for this stuff all day everyday and their bread and butter relies on it - i.e. Dropbox.