iCloud Drive Confusion

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dino F, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

So upon updating my iPad 2 to iOS8, I got a pop up asking me (as part of the iOS8 set up process)if I wanted to upgrade to iCloud Drive - which I opted for!

The way I understood this to work was that all my photos and vids (or any files for that matter) on my iPad, would then automatically be stored on iCloud Drive, negating the need to store them on the iPad as well, however, upon signing into iCloud here:

https://www.icloud.com/

, I see NO option of viewing photos?! :confused:

The only icons I have, after signing in, are as follows:

Mail
    Contacts
    Calendar
    iCloud Drive
    Find My iPhone
    Notes
    Reminders
    Pages
    Numbers
    Keynote
    Settings

...and selecting the iCloud Drive, does NOT have a photos option?!

So where/how do I see all my photos which are supposedly on iCloud Drive, which are still on my iPad?!

Very confused.....?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

2. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

Did you not get the little message before confirming installation that if you didn't have it installed on all corresponding devices, it wouldn't work? It's precisely why I haven't installed it yet, to make sure that my iPad and Mac have the latest firmware installed to assure it functions properly.

3. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...I don't think thats the point though. I also have an iPhone 5, which is still on iOS7, (I don't have any Macs) but to be honest, when that updates to iOS8, I still can't see my pics appearing on https://www.icloud.com/#iclouddrive ??!

If it was working as it should, surely, after signing into the above link, I should see the photos which have been saved on my iPad and uploaded to iCloud Drive - which I don't?!

:confused::confused:

4. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

So you've got iOS 8 already on your devices? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't transffered over to CloudDrive myself because all my the apart from my phone is on an older OS, so it wouldn't be of any use. But if you have iOS 8 installed on everything, it should work.

5. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

Was just reading through this link:

http://www.cultofmac.com/295511/switch-ios-8s-icloud-photo-library-right-now/

, which shows options for keeping original full-size images on my device or to store only smaller versions, optimized for my device’s screen.

I'm not 100% so will have to re-check my iPad 2 tonight but I certainly don't remember spotting these options on my iPad under Settings>iCloud>Photos....?!

Anyone able to check their iPad (iPad 2 if possible) to see if they indeed have this option?!

6. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

That feature has been pulled back coz of some issues.

7. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...how do you know that? I take it you also don't have this feature then?

8. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Yes even I don't have that feature for the same reason. Also you could check iOS 8 apple page where they don't mention that feature anymore for the same reason.

HealthKit, iCloud photo library and sms relay are the features pulled in the final version. They will be rolled when apples deems it to be for for public use.

9. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

....ok, cheers for clarifying that - appreciated!

In that case, am I correct in stating that currently, there is NO way to upload photos from your iOS8 device, to iCloud Drive then and if this is indeed correct, why does iOS8 ask you to 'Upgrade to iCloud Drive' during the update process?

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Look for the features to return in late October with the release of Yosemite for Mac.