Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
I have 409GB of files in iCloud Drive.

I have one device (an old iPad Mini) that I use to play around on the public beta, perhaps stupidly assuming that my iCloud data was safe (for instance, I haven’t upgraded Reminders etc - the bulk of my devices are still on iOS 12)

I’ve seen some posts on here saying the latest beta caused some iCloud Drive data loss, some of which worryingly has been unrecoverable. Is there a pattern of activity that causes the data loss, or a certain set of affected devices? For now I’ve just got the iPad powered off until the next beta comes out but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious.

How with so many files on iCloud Drive can I quickly check if any have gone missing?

Any more info at all?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
As only you know what is stored in your iCloud, how can anyone tell you if something is missing? That’s not meant to sound as I’m being rude by the way, just a genuine observation/question.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
As only you know what is stored in your iCloud, how can anyone tell you if something is missing? That’s not meant to sound as I’m being rude by the way, just a genuine observation/question.

I’m not trying to find someone with a personal knowledge of my files, I’m hoping for something like (for instance):

• It’s only xxxx devices that are affected
  • It only happens when you xxxx after updating
  • It specifically wipes the filepath /**** and anything in there because...
  • It only affects a certain file name/type
Give me somewhere to start looking before I miss the opportunity to recover something.

For instance, I theorised that it may be /Documents that gets wiped because other users are complaining that this file constantly gets duplicated, but other than my passing observation there seems to be no evidence of this.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Jeep another backup set, always. Local, Mac, HDD etc.

I think photos got shuffled and reorganized. Mail is being handled differently on iCloud end. And iCloud may need to interact differently depending on if a user is running iOS 12 still or beta 13.

I don't use DropBox but many do and it is going through upgrades. There's also OneDrive which often offers 1TB with Office. Google and Amazon are inexpensive also. If you prefer our backups.

400+GB might not work with iTunes u suspect.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I have 409GB of files in iCloud Drive.

I have one device (an old iPad Mini) that I use to play around on the public beta, perhaps stupidly assuming that my iCloud data was safe (for instance, I haven’t upgraded Reminders etc - the bulk of my devices are still on iOS 12)

I’ve seen some posts on here saying the latest beta caused some iCloud Drive data loss, some of which worryingly has been unrecoverable. Is there a pattern of activity that causes the data loss, or a certain set of affected devices? For now I’ve just got the iPad powered off until the next beta comes out but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious.

How with so many files on iCloud Drive can I quickly check if any have gone missing?

Any more info at all?

For me, what happened was the iCloud made multiple copies of my Documents folder each with fewer files than the last. After examining the contents closely I determined that the original was intact and I deleted the copies. No more issues since. That's not to say that's exactly how it'll be for you, just my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.