iCloud Drive - File size limit?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Szmekken, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Szmekken macrumors newbie

So I recently upgraded my storage plan in order to be able to use iCloud Drive for backup purposes. I tried to upload a .zip of all my photos (54 GB), but it fails upon initiation. So my questions are – Is there a size limit, and if so, what is it?

2. alco macrumors newbie

I'm also wondering this. I tried uploading a .zip through the web interface that was about 250mb. Watching 3 or 4 attempts, there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why failed.

3. Samtb macrumors 65816

Is iCloud Drive as good as onedrive or Dropbox?

4. alco macrumors newbie

I've never used OneDrive but I've been a Dropbox user for a long time.

Myself personally, I'm just looking to keep all I can tightly integrated. Using services in the same ecosystem is a huge convenience for some. Sure, iCloud Drive is limited in its current form compared to Dropbox. But, I do expect things to get better down the road. I believe Apple is starting to show that they are serious about the "services" part of their business.

In short, is iCloud Drive as good as Dropbox or OneDrive? Right now, probably not. OneDrive, and especially Dropbox, have been in the marketplace a long time and have had plenty of time to iterate and grow their features. Apple did have MobileMe but I don't think anyone here wants to compare any of this to the dark days.

5. impaler macrumors 6502

That answer depends on how you use it, and what your needs are. It's hard to say which is better without that additional input.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OneDrive has a 10 GB size limit an offers 1 TB to Office 365 subscribers. I am not aware of DropBox having one. As to iCloud, I have not seen any literature stating what limit there is, if any.