iCloud Drive for iOS 10 macOS Sierra

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by matjamca, Jun 13, 2016.

1. matjamca macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the newly announced iCloud Drive functionality enables it to work similarly to Dropbox?

2. c0LdFire macrumors regular

The way they started wording it in the keynote made me feel like it might finally have some sort of selective sync, but I can't install the betas until I get home later to confirm :(

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I hope it's TRUE selective sync, which you can enable on any folder.

I'd love to have some folders that are the same on all my Macs, but I want to be able to choose WHICH ONES.

Also, I hope the data is stored locally on the disk, in a regular folder, and not in "Mobile Documents" so I can back it up correctly. iCloud by itself is not an adequate backup.

4. c0LdFire macrumors regular

You'd think it would be extremely obvious to them that this is what iCloud Drive needs to take off. For the time being, I feel very "stuck" with Dropbox because no other solution is as seamless.

5. matjamca thread starter macrumors regular

Same here. I even messaged Tim Cook in the vain hope someone would listen. I want to back up stuff to iCloud Drive that I want to keep on iCloud Drive and access it from any computer, phone or tablet that I want as needed. There is no point in it being synced everywhere unnecessarily.

6. ESabis macrumors newbie

7. TurboPGT! Suspended

Aside from sending links to download files, which isn't a deal breaker, selective Sync is probably the only reason why I still have Dropbox, along side iCloud Drive.

Right now (as of macOS Sierra) iCloud Drive backs up 99% of the files on my Mac..all built in Applications have their own iCloud Drive folder, which is great, and now my Desktop and Documents too, so I can be as disorganized as I want and still be backed up (Great!).

The problem? I have several other computers, mostly small storage PCs, that I want to sync files to. But I don't want my entire iCloud Drive downloaded to those computers. So I still have a Dropbox folder or two that are synced to those machines.

This is a common use case and I imagine it is one of the main reasons any iCloud Drive user still has a Dropbox account. Oh, I also like the feature that collects ScreenShots into their own folder.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but I think it only syncs whatever is in your "Documents" folder and whatever is on your desktop.