iCloud drive is really crap...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scaramoosh, Oct 2, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Google Drive keeps everything on a server somewhere, it serves the purpose of taking the files off your PC and freeing up space. However I fail to see the point of iCloud Drive as to turn it on you need to allow it to download every single one of your files. For me before I got this mac I stored 1tb of data on mine, which is 500GB more than my Mac has. So I cannot turn on iCloud Drive without it filling up my whole PC and then some. If I wanted to delete it locally, it then deletes it on the server too... WHY? It's the dumbest thing, the server is meant to be the master, I don't want to accidentally delete stuff.

I also want to mention how folders have to be zipped... why? Google Drive doesn't request that and you cannot just play and view content from it, you have to download it first.... why? Again Google Drive doesn't require it.

It's so crap like lots of Apple's software, why does the mail app never delete mail? Every time I come back stuff has popped back up and I have to redelete it.Why is Keychain more hassle than it's worth? Meant to be a convenient password keeper, but now I have iCloud asking me for previous passwords I had years ago and asking me for my old phone number I created my account with years ago.... I don't know it, was so long ago. On top of that if I ever want to use a keychain password on Windows or anything else, you have to keep going into keychain on your phone and hoping it sync'd as it never seems to update changed passwords. Why did Apple change the way the Home Button works on older devices? I get it on the 7, but it's totally unintuitive and annoying for previous devices.

I swear Apple are getting worse and more and more they're pushing me away. Getting rid of the 3.5mm jack thing would be fine if they used USB-C, but it's just one more step to a totally locked down ecosystem where you have to buy something with an Apple License which means end users pay the Apple tax on everything. Not to mention the lightning port is so weak and flimsy, the 2.5mm jack sits in there sturdy, after a few months the lighting port becomes loose from wear and every cable rocks around in there. That W1 chip I wouldn't be surprised is their first step to getting rid of Bluetooth, so maybe in future you'll have to buy every device specific for an Apple product.

I thought Apple devices were meant to be easy an intuitive to use, it's why I switched over to a Mac since I didn't like Windows 10. However it turns out I spend most my time still on Windows 7 as every time I go on OSX there is some ******** giving me a headache, some weird Apple decision that makes no sense.

Lets just hope Apple do not get into driving cars, otherwise you'll have people standing outside them, just locked out because iCloud Keychain hasn't sync'd or some BS.

2. komatsu macrumors 6502

First of all I am amazed that there has been so little response to your well written post.

iCloud drives loads of users around the twist with the exact problems that you describe. It really is a terribly
    written piece of software.

A lot of Apple users are now beginning to realise that the Apple experience does'nt really live up to all the hype.

3. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

So, you blame Apple because you never updated your account to have your current number? Right.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suppose you have a simple solution. Don't use it. I mean you praise Google Drive, so use that.

Personally, I don't use iCloud drive at all.

I'll offer this as a bit of perspective. Apple has NEVER had a good cloud product. Back in the days of Steve Jobs, they rolled out iTools and one thing on there was iDrive, which is essentially your iCloud drive. It was slow, problematic and a pain to use. Not much as changed

Apple is really good at single use products, but have a poor track record when it comes to more social type, or group use services.

5. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

true, but its a shame. id rather just use apple for everything. at the moment my cloud services are so fragmented. i use flickr for pictures, but since the stopped the free auto picture uploader i do need to change this. i have a dropbox for som files, but its not big enough or everything, and copy.com was good before but thats gone so i have another which i forget the name of so it obviously doesnt impress me....

and i want to give apple the 3 euro a month for 200 gigs of space, i really would if it would all work properly. if my mac didnt insist in lobbing stuff thats part of applications and clearly not documents, into my documents folder, so i could upload it all. if there was more control about what was on what machine and what sat just in the cloud.

and i dont imagine itll get better. itunes match is still buggy and every year i keep thinking just redownload everythng, and stop paying for itunes match.

amazon and google look more attractive but i keep hanging on, and not sorting out my cloud mess because i want apple to do it better.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hmm. I use the iCloud Drive as if it is just another folder on my Mac, knowing that it is in fact "out there" somewhere. It seems to work fine, but I've never had to try to recover an old version of a corrupt file, so the jury is still out.

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Since updating my mac to Sierra and my phone to iOS 10 my documents aren't syncing properly for Numbers. A change made on my phone is not reflected on my Mac. The only way I can make it appear is to make a change on the Mac document and save it, then a window pops up saying the docs aren't in sync and asks which one I want. This never happened before. Not sure if it's an iOS, MacOS, or iCloud problem.

8. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

They haven't made iCloud Drive as remote storage (to free up space on your Mac) - they've made it as a centralized virtual drive that is identical on every computer, it downloads anything you put in it to all computers. If this is no good for you I would suggest Dropbox instead which allows you to select which folders and files get downloaded.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually they have
    Capto_Capture 2016-10-27_12-48-20_PM.png

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I use it as a redundant backup of important files, well, all files that I create.