iCloud Drive on OS X - size counted on the local hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by myname70, Oct 22, 2015.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

guys, I have iCloud Drive activated and miste in the finder sidebar. I have saved about 35 GB files (ms office , pictures etc) in a separate folders on the iCloud Drive.
    The drive is synchronized and I can list and see all files in the finder. But, I mentioned that my iMac hard drive usage shows 35 gb other and photos files usage
    Do you think this is the iCloud Drive files counted and saved locally on the iMac hard drive? If so- why? The idea is the iCloud Drive files to be stored only on the iCloud and just to connect and download only the required one.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If you've made those files available offline, they need to be stored SOMEPLACE on your Mac's internal drive in order for that to be the case. So, yes, you WILL see space occupied by your iCloud files.

3. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. In fact I did not set any such option. How can I make those files offline or online only? where is this option ?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no such option. Anything in iCloud Drive is also stored locally in this user folder.

~/Library/Mobile Documents

5. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Off topic - any way to indexing and search the iCloud drive content (my manually created folders and sub-folders content) via icloud drive on the iPhone / iPad ? It still search only in the root folder but not deep inside.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry, I don't know.